Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
grouch

Mustad dry hooks?

Are the Mustad 94840's a thing of the past? I am having trouble finding them locally. All the Mustad hooks seem to be the new signature series. Please tell me they haven't stop making them. For what it's worth, I usually tie on Tiemco hooks but like the way my flies look on Mustands a little better.

Thanks!

Mustad has recently converted all of their hooks over to their Signature line of hooks. The one your looking for is now the Model R50. J.Stockards carries them (see the link below). The Signature line of hooks are more expensive than the older Mustad hooks, but they are much sharper (they may now be chemically sharpened) and they have smaller barbs (easier on the fish if you practice catch-and-release).

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/H...94840-Hook.html

Mustad may have stopped making the Classic series 94840, but that doesn't mean that there aren't THOUSANDS of them still out there on dealer shelves to be purchased, I know of many online dealers that still show the hooks as available. Hook and Hackle has them for $10.50 per hundred, the R30 (light wire) and the R50 are $3.50 per 25 or $14.00 per hundred. I am sure you can still get them a lot of places, you just have to look. I see a lot on ebay. I also see them listed on Anglers Workshops store, and Feather-Crafts web store. Feather Craft has them for 7.95 per hundred. J Stockard appears to be out.

You should pick up some of the new Signature R50 and R30 hooks to try out, since the Classics will be gone eventually. If your really set on the 94840, you had best stock up now while you still can find them.

I haven't tried the R50's yet. I used to use 94840's, but when Mustad made the switch, I

started using TMC 100's or 900BL's. They are more expensive ($1.60 more for a pack of

25 for the 100's. That's only about 6 cents more per hook). I do use Mustad R74's for Wooly Buggers

and really like them.

Mike

I just bought a pack of the R50's and like them a lot. Much sharper than the original mustads and the barbs are easy to flatten out.

I was wondering the same thing. I'll have to try out the new signature series soon.

You should! I love the Signature series! Very sharp and strong.

I highly recommend them! :D

gage

I like the Signature Series hooks too. I still have a bunch of the classic hooks, and have used them for many years.

If you've never tried them, check out the Dai-Riki hooks that Dan Bailey sells. Also a very good hook IMO.