Fly Tying

Hook Choice  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I used to buy strictly Mustad for their cheap price but I'm slowly learning that you get what you pay for. After having one batch of flies rust before I ever used them I decided to start buying a little higher quality hooks. I also noticed that Mustad's tend to be made out of a much softer metal than other hooks and they would bend easily from fish and crush if the vise was too tight.

--CHad

Exactly the same thing here. I had some Mustad 94840's and my finished dry flies were rusting before they ever touched the water. Since I've started using Tiemcos, I haven't had that problem. And you're right about getting what you pay for. I've only recently begun using what most consider "the top genetic hackle" out there, and the difference between them and what I used to use is light-years apart. Perhaps Mustad's new line of hooks are better.

you CRUSH hooks in your vise? Might want to back off on the tension just a little bit...

Anyhow, I used to use lots of Mustads, and still do because I have a small stockpile of different ones. I've tied thousands of flies on them over the years and never lost fish because of one. Most bling-bling hook brands are overpriced for my budget and reasoning ability- but if there is a certain structural element that is absolutely critical to a fly- that can't be met by a more economical choice, then I guess you must pay to play. I've bought and tied on just about every brand of hook out there at one time or another.

Mustad Signature hooks seem to be as good as any of them, and the price isn't too painful. At least as it applies to the 7 or 8 styles of them I've tried.

you CRUSH hooks in your vise? Might want to back off on the tension just a little bit...

Hi, JSzymczyk. No, I've never crushed a hook (PikeHunter has had that problem, though); however, I have had some rust problems with Mustad's Classic 94840 dry fly hooks. The only Signatures I've tried are the R74's, and have no complaints.

Well, rats, I screwed up my vote...

Depends on the hook style and fly but

Mustad

Tiemco

Owner, forgot to vote 'other'. These are not the cheapest, but work well with those salty critters.

All of my trout flies are on Tiemco.

I use Mustads for stainless saltwater (primarily what used to be the 34007 and 34011).

I also use Tiemco for their bass Stinger hooks.

Over the last 40+ years, my collection of hooks has grown to about 10,000. I have Mustads in both standard, and Signature styles, and I still use these for streamers, wooly buggers, and wet fly patterns. I have a few hundred Eagle Claw L1197n hooks. These are nickle plated and I use them for Steelhead and Salmon flies. Over the last 20 years or so, I have switched mostly to TMC hooks for nymphs and dry flies. These are what I used the most, and I have dozens of different styles. Then I have selected Partridge, Diachii, Dia-Riki, and Gamakatsu styles. I have a few Cabelas brand hooks also just because they were on sale when I stopped into a store. All these different manufacturers have a few styles I like for different reasons.

I use a lot of different hooks, now I have Scierra, Fulling Mill, Partridge, Mustad, Tiemco, Kamasan, Knapek, Hanak. Kamasan is my favorite now, but theres no barbless hooks. :wallbash: . Thats why i'm moving to Knapek.

Hanak has a great hooks, but they're so weak.

When using small hooks, i use hanak dry hooks. They're so strong, that i haven't had to search anythin better.

In pupas and larvas i use only Fulling Mill heavyweight grub(seldom), and kamasan grubber, b110. Not b100!

Streamers, the most kamasan b800, b830, and b840. Easy to crush the barb, and they are good for all kinds of streamers.

Dryflys, from size 14 to size 10 usually kamasan b400. Enough strong and light.

For pike tiemco 811s, or 911s, kamasan b840, or partridge ad swier hooks. From those i find a hook for all pikeflys.

Replying to 4 posts in one day, new record for me.

I use Mustad, simply because they (used to be) available cheap and in boxes of 100. Seems those days are over :ripped:

I will probably either (grudgingly) use Mustad signature, or try TMC...I have a real hard time getting used to paying 4-5 bucks for 25 hooks when a year ago I could get 100 for 10, however. Im not real thrilled with Mustad atm, and may switch to TMC simply to avoid giving them any more money, ill know after i try some i suppose.

I use a lot of different hooks, now I have Scierra, Fulling Mill, Partridge, Mustad, Tiemco, Kamasan, Knapek, Hanak. Kamasan is my favorite now, but theres no barbless hooks. :wallbash: . Thats why i'm moving to Knapek.

Hanak has a great hooks, but they're so weak.

When using small hooks, i use hanak dry hooks. They're so strong, that i haven't had to search anythin better.

In pupas and larvas i use only Fulling Mill heavyweight grub(seldom), and kamasan grubber, b110. Not b100!

Streamers, the most kamasan b800, b830, and b840. Easy to crush the barb, and they are good for all kinds of streamers.

Dryflys, from size 14 to size 10 usually kamasan b400. Enough strong and light.

For pike tiemco 811s, or 911s, kamasan b840, or partridge ad swier hooks. From those i find a hook for all pikeflys.

Hi Juso, Can you get Gamakatsu hooks? For Pike, and other large toothy creatures, I just love them. They are very strong, and very sharp. Just be careful stroking materials backwards. Did I mention they are very sharp. If you cannot, PM me youur address and I will send a few your way to demo.

Cheers, Futzer.

TMC, Daiichi and Eagle Claw for me. But that being said, the only Eagle Claw I use is the jig head style for tying Clousers.

I mostly use Tiemco .. for now. I'm slowly changing over to Lightning Strike if the style hook is available for the fly I'm tying. They're not as expensive as the others and still very dependable.

Mike

To me it depends on the fly and how good i'm at tying it . I use Mustad when i'm trying a new pattern out for the first time. When I like the way it looks, I switch over and use Tiemco.

Replying to 4 posts in one day, new record for me.

I use Mustad, simply because they (used to be) available cheap and in boxes of 100. Seems those days are over :ripped:

I will probably either (grudgingly) use Mustad signature, or try TMC...I have a real hard time getting used to paying 4-5 bucks for 25 hooks when a year ago I could get 100 for 10, however. Im not real thrilled with Mustad atm, and may switch to TMC simply to avoid giving them any more money, ill know after i try some i suppose.

I'm right there with you- I was aggravated when it appeared Mustad was just jumping on the "fly hooks are SUPPOSED to be expensive" bandwagon. Prices of just about all hooks, including Mustad originals took a price jump about 5 or 6 years ago. The new Mustad Signature hooks, to me, seemed like just a self-centered marketing move. It does appear now though, that the Signature hooks for the most part are not stupidly expensive especially if you buy them by the 50 packs. All of the Signature hooks that I've used have been very very nice hooks too. I got mad and said I wasn't going to buy into the boutique hook market and felt as if Mustad had just sold out to the rich guys in the magazines... but now the Signatures are not terribly more expensive than the last available standards were, and they are better quality. I am back to being a Mustad fan. I look to them first and only go with another brand unless I get a hell of a deal, which doesn't happen too often. The Signature black-nickel bass bug hooks and the Signature stainless saltwater hooks are exceptionally good IMO.

I still wish the standard hooks were available though!!