Fly Tying

Hook Choice  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I used to buy strictly Mustad for their cheap price but I'm slowly learning that you get what you pay for. After having one batch of flies rust before I ever used them I decided to start buying a little higher quality hooks. I also noticed that Mustad's tend to be made out of a much softer metal than other hooks and they would bend easily from fish and crush if the vise was too tight.

--CHad

A friend who is a pro tyer recently told me he has been going away from TMC and is buying another brand I never heard of for its quality and low cost now. Sorry but he did not tell me the name of the newer hooks.

He might be using Targus hooks. They have a lot of the same style hooks as TMC, and even use the same numbering system (e.g. TAR2457 is the same shape as a TMC2457). The last time I bought them you got 50 Targus hooks for around same price as 25 Tiemcos.

My choice of hooks varies depending on what qualitys I'd like the hook to have for different patterns. But generally I tie on Tiemco and Partridge Flashpoint, I have though started to use Hanak competition hooks and Fulling Mills as well and I like them, good pricing too on https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/

I voted for several, I use many different brands. Mustad's, Tiemco, Daiichi, Dai Riki, and a lot of Orvis hooks (probably made by someone else). My only local shop sells mostly Orvis and Tiemco. I have used bulk-bought Mustad's for most of my basic streamer patterns.

I use almost alway Tiemco hooks there sharp and i haven't had one break yet! I only use Mustads when I tie those trad flat-wing streamers, limerick bend, I wish Tiemco made those.

Base metal prices (as well as the popularity of flyfishing) have moved prices of quality hooks to VERY lofty levels the past few years. I don't think we will see a return to the $8 box of 100 hooks. Hook and Hackle is in the process of blowing out there Mustad line with a 40% sale. Might say something about tyers preferences. I buy Orvis hooks, I believe they are Fulling Mills hooks, but i could be wrong about that. I know their flies are tied in Kenya. I recently bought a few #16 and #18 caddis pupa and greenworm flies from them, as my fingers and eyes don't get down that small at 55, (yet I continue to try). The workmanship was superb. I certainly cannot tie as good as some of those smaller legged pupa patterns I received to use as models for caddis pupa patterns along with my hooks.

Tight Lines,

Eusebius

I have a lot of different brands, and use them all, but most of my tying is on Mustad. But then I am part Norwegian, so I just figured they must be the best! :lol:

and a lot of Orvis hooks (probably made by someone else).

You mean they aren't made by hook elves in the cave under the Manchester store? :blink: Dang! I loved those hooks!

Looks like the sponsor JStockard has a great line of generic chemically sharpened hooks at very favorable prices...going to be ordering some soon.

I just got my first JStockard hooks in the mail today.....they look nice!

I received an order of the J. Stockard a little a while ago. So far they've been real nice to tie on. No problems. I've yet to fish with them though.

I use tiemco , but has anyone tried to use saber hooks sold by the fly shack. Just woundering if their worth trying

thanks alto