Fly Tying
salmo-salar

Flies from 'the rock'

Flies for 2009... I really wish I knew how to use my camera.

Picture019.jpg

Blue charm

Picture018.jpg

Bombers

Picture017.jpg

(Illegal) Shrimp. You cant use doubles in my province.

Picture014.jpg

Micro-shrimp Varient.

If only the salmon were IN the rivers... :wallbash:

Nice flies!

When I get back from Ontario ill be hitting the rivers almost every day. Ill keep you posted! If you are available we could head out on the avalon.

phil

Nice flies!

When I get back from Ontario ill be hitting the rivers almost every day. Ill keep you posted! If you are available we could head out on the avalon.

phil

I would love that! Not much sign of fish yet. We need rain badly.

Nice flies, I caught a smolt here about 2 weeks ago trout fishing, could be sign the salmon are on there way

They are indeed dandies. It's shame about the lack of rain so far this year, particularly as I'm heading to sea for the next 3 or 4 weeks. Surely it will pour with rain the day I set sail.

Do you use deer or caribou for your bombers?

I use both. Deer for anything with colour. Usually caribou for that natural colour, although I use natural deer too. Deer is easier to tie with, Caribou is free and I find it floats better.

Picture024.jpg

Ive used caribou as well and find it pretty good (and cheap or free). I do find it somewhat more difficult to spin (Mule Deer Hair being the best I've tried so far). It's easy to cut the caribou hairs with the thread as well, especially using GSP. I'm obviously just pulling too hard.

I'm interested in angler's thoughts on a few other aspects of the bomber too...

Do you double your hackles (i.e. tie two in immediately next to each other)?

Have you tried polar bear instead of calf tail? I find it floats well.

I've spent considerable time tying these with the hair packed as tight as possible (which certainly looks great) but I've been recently told that salmon spit the denser ones out. Is there any truth to this?

I've mostly tied with a single wing as opposed to the double (I see you have tied both). Is there any reason to favour one over the other?

What size hook? I've tied a few on size 2 but thinking of going smaller.

Sorry, lots of questions but seeing as the bomber is one of the more important flies in Newfoundland waters, might as well know as much as I can.

Ive used caribou as well and find it pretty good (and cheap or free). I do find it somewhat more difficult to spin (Mule Deer Hair being the best I've tried so far). It's easy to cut the caribou hairs with the thread as well, especially using GSP. I'm obviously just pulling too hard.

I'm interested in angler's thoughts on a few other aspects of the bomber too...

Do you double your hackles (i.e. tie two in immediately next to each other)?

Have you tried polar bear instead of calf tail? I find it floats well.

I've spent considerable time tying these with the hair packed as tight as possible (which certainly looks great) but I've been recently told that salmon spit the denser ones out. Is there any truth to this?

I've mostly tied with a single wing as opposed to the double (I see you have tied both). Is there any reason to favour one over the other?

What size hook? I've tied a few on size 2 but thinking of going smaller.

Sorry, lots of questions but seeing as the bomber is one of the more important flies in Newfoundland waters, might as well know as much as I can.

Alright. In terms of spinning caribou, it depends on the animal itself. Older caribou is better for spinning. Its more similiar to deer in that regard. Now I have never used GPS or anything except UNI 8/0 and 6/0. Obviously I use 6/0 for spinning. I've never had a problem with cutting the hair, maybe because the thread I use would break before the hair cuts. I'll definatly pick up some thicker thread next time I hit the store and I'll let you know how I find it.

I do not usually double my hackles. 1 seems sufficient for me, unless of course if I'm making two-toned bombers, in that case you need to use 2 or more hackles. I tie in all my hackles at the butt AFTER I spin and trim the body. I then proceed to wind my thread to the head and finally wind the hackle up through. If I am using 2 hackles, I tie them in one at a time, the second on top of the first. The LAST hackle I tie in gets wound FIRST and the FIRST hackle I tie in gets wound LAST. I dont find it matters what particular colour of hackle is wound first or last.

I've only ever used calf tail for my bombers but I would imagine polar bear would work too.

I've also heard that salmon are not as fond of dense bombers. I dont fully understand this, because unlike wet flies, you need to strike immediatley when a salmon takes a dry anyway, so why would it matter how dense the body is?

Acutally, all the wings are split on my bombers these days. I suppose your referring to the black bomber, but its the angle of the camera. It too, has a split wing. Honestly, I have no idea if a split wing would outfish a single-winged bomber. I simply like the look of the split wing better, and of course it still catches fish.

The bigger the bomber the better is what I was always told. Although I tie them on hooks as small as 8's. Bugs on even smaller hooks.

Phew. :rolleyes:

salmo-salar,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I know there were a lot and I very much appreciate your considered replies.