Fly Tying
Fred H.

How as a fly tier do you view realistics?

How do you veiw realistics  

571 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No arguments please . I am not opening up a debate . I just want your honest opinion by

poll vote as how you veiw this form of tying. Or if you think its tying at all.And think of

realistics you have seen not just my flies .But those that post here and other sites.

Thanks, Fred

i voted just another form of tying like classic, but was pending to x out art form.

realistics is art on a hook equally to classics, by my meaning.

Regards C

I think realistic tying is truly an art, I respect those who have the skills to do this kind of tying!

Jan

However, if practice and patience is put into it, and there is some innate ability within the individual, it can be taken to the level of “art.” Just as in any style of tying. Each style can be tied to its highest form. Not any "one" style is the epitome of fly tying.

You can tie a dry fly or a nymph with the highest skills available but it will never look as good as a classic or a realistic. Try to impress somebody you meet on a fair or show with an Red Tag or a pheasant tail....do you really think that would work? Some forms of fly tying just take more skills than others...that's where tying and art start to mix. Everybody can tie fishing flies but not everybody can tie a classic (which I think takes more skills than realistic stuff). Even with a lot of practice that's not "easy".

Greets Paul.

I didn't think the option that fit me most was available, realistics are impressive, and an art form, but not necessarily efficient as fishing flies, too much expense of time & materials to be practical.

I guess my choice would have been "impressive, artistic, but impractical."

I would call it fly tying so long as it is tied on a tube or a hook. (Radio Edit. Statement removed.)

Otherwise, I'd just call it a heckuva load of artistic talent.... :bugeyes:

I just wanted eveyone's vote and didn't want to open this up to debate. I want to find out as a collective what was the common conception of those flies posted under realistic flies. Many of us have different views on what tying is

and when a line is crossed over into something else. I used Classic tying in one of the options to compare to because Classic tying has some definite boundries.I did not mean to liken realistic flies to classics. I refrain from giving my opinion, allthough I think many of you already know. And please be honest with your vote. Spare no feelings. If you think it is not tying say so . If you think it is tying then say that. But you can't pick and choose which flies are and are not. Collectively if they are allowed to be posted under realistics and this is what you see vote accordingly.

Fred

Hello Fred,

I Voted "as an Art form", but as a long time forum member, I reserve my right to give an explanation why. I have a two-parts to my opinion...,

The first part of my opinion takes into account the roots and/or foundation of the "Arts" as a whole. In the artistic world of Painting, there are basically three main Genre's an artist or art lover can persue. Those being the "Abstract or Surreal" ie) Pablo Picasso or Andy Warhol... the "Impressionistic" ie) P.A. Renior or Claude Monet..., and finally the "Realistic" such as the works of Robert Bateman and Glen Loates.

These three Genres apply not only to Painting but to virtually every other art form or media one could possibly imagine...including "Marble Sculpture", Wood Carving" and even "Fly Tying".

The second part of my opinion is a little more complicated and deals with what comprises "tying" (as opposed to sculpture and/or modeling) and how that may or may not apply to any perceived definitions of "Classical, Realistic, Impressionistic tying or otherwise. For example, 50 or a 100 years from now, a number of newly innovated flies today will joiin the ranks of the Classic's tomorrow. It's likely there will be then, or perhaps is already now, the sub-definitions of "Modern Classic's" and "Olde or Original Classics" ...I for one believe there is room in our hobby for that. What will separate the two?...Original Classics will allways be in my mind, creations tied using feathers, fur, silks and threads etc. Modern Classics could be determined by (in addition to fur and feathers) the use of modern synthetics and may include tying steps (that aren't acutally "tying") that call for the use of adheasives, epoxys, inks/markers etc.

That said, It appears that many "Realistic" fly patterns make heavy use of synthetic/modern materials. The advent of these modern materials has allowed tyers to create patterns that well surpass olde tyme materials in realism. It's an evolution of the hobby, an evolution that is bound to continue evolving. Bottom line, it's going to be fisher-folks and hobbyists or artists that determine what's acceptable...what's fly tying...whats classic and whats not. If a pattern survives the years and is still around...still being used...and still catches fish, well, its a fly, and may well one day be a classic...god forbid even if it's a Gummy Minnow.

Best regards,

Henry

Opinions are ok. Just don't post your opinion of another members post. No Arguments or Debates on this thread Please.

Fred

Art form not meant to fish with unless you're Steve Thornton

I voted art form as I am reminded all too often. My brother is a realistic tier (although certainly not as good as Fred and others here), and every holiday it is something like "look at my new siphlonurus aestivalis" and I am "err.....look at my new ragged bit of sheep's wool and copper wire." I have much respect and admiration for anyone who can do this.

Jani

I believe all flytying is an art form. However, realistics is truely one of the highest forms of of the art!