Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Wellman

Having trouble shipping International

I have notice that some swappers are having trouble shipping Internationally. So far every swap I have joined has been International. I have never had any trouble with any of my swaps. So I have a couple of tips to make it easier on the Swap Master, and on yourself.

1.(USA to Canada) When you ship it only costs about 3-4 dollars. (So Ive heard) and for the Swap Master (Canadian) it costs 5 bucks to send it back.

2.When you are at the post office, they will give you a paper telling you to write down the cost and what you are shipping.What ever you do, do NOT PUT flies, fishing fly, peacock nymphs, dry flys etc. The women at my post office told me that they will probably get thrown out or sent back. She told me the best description you could give, is fishing hooks, Bass hooks, or trout hooks.

3. Send cash... I know that the mods say don't send cash but internationally its the easiest no joke, or if you don't like sending cash the USP has some checks or something works great also.

4. (Canada/States) Check the strength of the dollar.

I know that I am not the only international swapper so if you have tips please post.

Chris

Being from Canada, I've never had to ship USA/Can.

But, I try to remember to put a value of $20.00 on a shipment, if I am asked.

I also try to remember to put down "gift" on the declaration.

I include a self-addressed envelope.

I send cash, hopefully, enough to cover the postage. I would always be willing to send more, return postage is only a guess at my end.

But, regardless of any potential problems, I appreciate the time and effort that the Swap Meisters put in to organizing them. Being a participant has been great for me. My tying skills have improved markedly since I began taking part.

Now I am just waiting for the fishing skills to improve.

Min

I haven't had an issue yet, but I may go with the advice on the description Seems the Candanian post may be a bit strictor than the US. I've been fortunate enough that my post office hasn't given me any problems, the are actually quite helpful. My best advice though is to check with the swap meister on how he wants to handle the postage situation. One of my swappers aske dif I'd be willing to except some extra flies instead of dealing with international coupons or with the risk of him sending cash. The option works for me.

I've been swapping since 1995. I live in Canada so what I do is where the value of the package is to be put on the Customs Declaration form, I put NCV which stands for No Commercial Value. Nowadays this isn't so important as we do not pay duty on anything manufactured in the U.S.

The folks that mail flies to me if I am swapping, send cash, I in turn save that to send to U.S. swapmeisters to pay for my postage back.

I always put "Fishing Flies" on my packages going south and I am pretty sure that is what the folks in the U.S. put on their packages coming to me, though I think I remember a few people putting "Craft Material," on theirs.

I do not think I have had many problems over the last 14 years, so it should work for you as well.

Apartt from 2 packages that have 'gone missing' in 7 years of swapping, I've had no problems.

I put 'fishing lures' on the declaration. I also put a value of $5 so that the receiver doesn't have to pay tax duty (not sure if others are aware of the import duties payable, its not worth it). Also, mark the package as gift.

I always put in cash, I know of international reply coupons but I don't think they cover costs very well. Also included is an addressed envolope.

Don't know if anyone else does but I always include extras for the swap meister.

Ashley

I have done a few swaps that were hosted from Canada, although I haven't had an issue I always feel uncertain until my flies' trip has been successful. I mark my flies as fishing tackle and US$5. My local post office is a bit 'interesting' on a good day as its somewhat embedded in a John Deere dealer, so I can mail my flies and pick up a new tractor if I need one.

post-17895-1252239495_thumb.jpg

I live in Eastern Europe, which seems to be a bit worse mailing location than even Canada, and having experimented briefly with the International Reply Coupons (neither my local nor the swap meisers post office ladies seemed to know what these meant) I settled on sending a little cash for the expense and a couple extra flies for the good will.

So far it seems to have worked out OK :)

J.

I've only had 1 package go missing but that happens in every delivery business. When I ship from CA to US I put the flies in an altoids container and send cash $3 US; it's rarely over $2 to get your flies back. I mark flies going to the States as Fishing hook samples with a declared value of $3.