Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TitanFlies

HMH, DK, Peak... Oh My!

I need some divine intervention. That's why I'm here. :rolleyes:

It's a toss up between:

HMH Spartan - I really like this one because it's simple and I've seen Day5 tie on it on YouTube and thought it looked top notch.

Dyna-King Squire - My dad has a Dyna-King Barracuda Trekker and the jaws are nice. Also superb engineering.

Peak - Every opinion I've heard about the Peak is good.

Tell me what you think about each vise.

It would be even better if someone could whip up a pros/cons list for each.

Price range is no more than $200. DanVise is NOT an option.

along with a few others here, I have a Peak and an HMH Spartan.

There is another recent thread in which we discussed some of the high and low points of both.

There really are no BAD things about either vise. In my experience and opinion:

Peak: Bulletproof. True rotary function. Standard jaws hold at least size 20 dry fly hooks to size 3/0 streamer hooks like grim death. Best c-clamp of any vise, of any price, period. Super easy to change jaws if you ever would have to. Jaw tension adjustment nut fairly coarse threaded, and not knurled. Heavy duty, sort of industrial looking, with very good fit and finish. Lifetime warranty. "D-Handle" extension and brass adjustment screws should come standard, but then it would cost more.

HMH Spartan: Small, compact. Fit and finish are exceptional. It feels and acts like a fine precision instrument. More "delicate" than the Peak- but no less able to hold a hook to tie a fly. Head angle fully adjustable! Standard jaws, IN MY EXPERIENCE, won't hold as large a hook as will the Peak, if that is a concern. Not really a true rotary. With head at zero degrees, it is MUCH nicer to tie clouser style bucktails and other bucktails/streamers that have material on the bend-side of the hook shank, compared to the Peak (that might sound a little confusing, but it is true). Easy jaw change. Lifetime warranty.

Overall, and this is just my opinion- I like my Peak better. Both of them are great vises. I wouldn't pay more for the HMH than the Peak. The HMH is significantly more compact, so it travels slightly better than the Peak.

Really you won't go wrong with either one. If at all possible, tie some various styles of flies on each one before you spend money. You will discover which one you like better. If that is not possible, perhaps your primary concern will be if you really want a true in-line rotary function or not. I personally didn't know how much I would use it until I started tying on one. If you've tied on your Father's DK, then you know if you want that or not.

I (very) recently sang the praises of the Peak to another member on this forum, but in the interim took delivery of a Dyna King Barracuda. All other features aside, all I can say about the jaws on the Dyna King is "wow!"

While the Peak remains a good choice, and perhaps to top choice in true rotary vises in your price category, the quality of the jaws on the Dyna King are on a whole other level. There really is no comparison between the quality of design and execution of the jaws on the Dyna King and the jaws on the Peak. However, in my opinion the Squire looses out because it does not rotate; the body is fixed in the head of the vise.

So that leaves us with the HMH. I have not tied on an HMH but have taken a close look at them at various fly shops. The jaws are on par with the Dyna King and the body rotates (very nicely) in the vise head. So for my money, in your price range, the HMH is the one to go for.

I've owned both the Peak and the HMH in the past, and I won't speak for the Dyna King since I've not experienced it other than toying around in a shop.

I gave up on the Peak for an HMh and have been more than satisfied.....I think Day5's videos more than cover the HMHs diversity and durability

Thanks for the replies, guys. But I don't understand... on the Dyna-King website it says that the squire is 360 degree rotation.

I know that doesnt mean true rotary but I just want to be able to work on the fly from all angles.

So now I'm confused

Of those you list, I have the HMH Spartan and the PEAK. I tied for two years on the PEAK; I've had the Spartan about 6 months.

Either one of them will be a spectacular vise. It depends on what you plan to do with it and what you want out of it.

The PEAK worked just fine for me for a great many flies. I still really, really like it for trout flies. I'm in the minority, but I had some hook holding issues when I started tying on smaller saltwater hooks. For what it's worth, I've found that all three of my vises (including a Dyna King Barracuda) have an area of hook sizes they struggle with. On the PEAK, it's about a size 2 or 4 hook. On the Dyna King, it's a size 8 or 10 hook with the standard jaws. The HMH is similar to the Dyna King.

Every vise is the result of a series of tradeoffs. The PEAK holds well, rotates well, and has a fantastic base. However, it's a pretty bulky unit to travel with, and you can occasionally have trouble with hook access behind the jaws. The HMH is lighter, smaller, travels well, and holds great. However, it's not "true" rotary (may or may not make a difference to you) and lacks space under the jaws due to the proximity of the vertical post.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the Squire. I'd look primarily at the HMH and PEAK. It'll come down to two questions: 1) Do you think you need true rotary, or will an in-line rotary suffice? 2) Do you plan to travel with the vise, or is it a home-use only?

Either way you will have a vise that will last you a very long time.

Thanks for the replies, guys. But I don't understand... on the Dyna-King website it says that the squire is 360 degree rotation.

I know that doesnt mean true rotary but I just want to be able to work on the fly from all angles.

So now I'm confused

I stand corrected. It appears the Squire does rotate. My apologies

Of those you list, I have the HMH Spartan and the PEAK. I tied for two years on the PEAK; I've had the Spartan about 6 months.

Either one of them will be a spectacular vise. It depends on what you plan to do with it and what you want out of it.

The PEAK worked just fine for me for a great many flies. I still really, really like it for trout flies. I'm in the minority, but I had some hook holding issues when I started tying on smaller saltwater hooks. For what it's worth, I've found that all three of my vises (including a Dyna King Barracuda) have an area of hook sizes they struggle with. On the PEAK, it's about a size 2 or 4 hook. On the Dyna King, it's a size 8 or 10 hook with the standard jaws. The HMH is similar to the Dyna King.

Every vise is the result of a series of tradeoffs. The PEAK holds well, rotates well, and has a fantastic base. However, it's a pretty bulky unit to travel with, and you can occasionally have trouble with hook access behind the jaws. The HMH is lighter, smaller, travels well, and holds great. However, it's not "true" rotary (may or may not make a difference to you) and lacks space under the jaws due to the proximity of the vertical post.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the Squire. I'd look primarily at the HMH and PEAK. It'll come down to two questions: 1) Do you think you need true rotary, or will an in-line rotary suffice? 2) Do you plan to travel with the vise, or is it a home-use only?

Either way you will have a vise that will last you a very long time.

Well thanks so much. I think I'm going to go with the HMH cause I like the "old-timey" look to it.

I started with an old vise in the 60's I resently bought a Dan Vise and the jaws broke. I just bought a Peak rotary vise with all of the brass for just over 200 and love it. Motown Out.

I bought a Peak a year ago and have had no regrets. bliss.gif

I got the midge jaws, but the standard jaws work for me down to #22; wish my eyes did!!!25r30wi.gif

There is a Peak vise on the trading forum that is for sale with all 3 jaws, midge, regular and saltwater for a reasonble price. Check it out if you have time.

Rob

My first vise cost me 7 dollars. It was a made in India clamp on ugly vise, but short of one minor repair to the wingnut that tightened the jaws, lasted me 2 years of heavy use until the jaws wouldnt grab small hooks well anymore. I still have it, just in case i break my other 2 at once...

I have a Thompson Model A that ive been using for about a year now, I think i paid 15 bucks for it. Its bulletproof and will last me a lifetime.

I just purchased a Thompson "DHT" vise from the auction site, for the princely sum of 16 dollars including shipping. And it rotates (it isnt a good rotation, but should i need to flip a fly over, it CAN do it) and the jaw tension adjusts. Its basically a Model A with a nicer finish, and these 2 Thompsons will probably be the last 2 vises I ever need. I may buy a model A with a pedestal mount for convenience, but clamping em to the edge of the desk works ok too. Your needs there may be different from mine.

Both Thompsons hold 24s (as small as I tie atm) with ease. Theyre easy to use. And theyre cheap. If you have your heart set on a fancy vise, dont let me stop you. The ones I have seen all seem quite well made, nicely finished, just...expensive. I just wish a vise was still made like these 2, as it would be a lot easier for relative beginners to get a good vise at a reasonable price. If I were forced to buy a new vise, I used a Peak once and liked it...alas, i dont remember what model. I think it rotated. But it didnt do its job (holding that hook) any better than my Thompsons do.