Fly Tying
smalltownfisherman

What is the key to fly tying happiness?

Multiple choice dry fly question  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think?

p.s first poll feels good. :D

For me, the answer is none of the above. The key to my fly tying happiness is tying flies that look decent, fish as intended, and catch fish.

-- Mike

What do you think?

For me, the answer is none of the above. The key to my fly tying happiness is tying flies that look decent, fish as intended, and catch fish.

-- Mike

True so very true!

What do you think?

-- Mike

ditto or that they make the people happy that I tie them for

What do you think?

-- Mike

ditto or that they make the people happy that I tie them for

I edited the poll so now you can vote on that stuff.

Personally, my enjoyment comes from making flies like look half-way decent, flies that catch fish, and yes Terje's posts do make me 'happy' but mostly jealous :devil: :j_k:

Jan

For whatever reason, I love to tie Stimulators. In a perfect world, all of our flies would look perfect and catch loads of fish. Thankfully, flies don't have to look good to catch fish. I've caught plenty on some awful looking flies with cockeyed wings, crooked tails, uneven bodies, etc. etc. Regardless, my goal is that fellow tyers (and fish) look at my flies and consider them pretty dang good.

the finished product we always hopes looks good, but i have to say i have cought some huge fish on ugly flies

1.Teaching somone to tie.

2. gifting a beautiful realistic to a friend.

3. Being a swapmeister and opening up each new arrival.

4. having a realistic cricket out fish the bait dunkers casting live ones.

Fred

Hi Gage,

#1 Catching more fish or more fishers to buy your bugs, than your favorite best friend tyer. Cheers, Jeff.

I find tying traditional English spiders and soft hackles the most gratifying aspect of fly tying. Although

easy to tie, they are not as easy to tie "well"....with the appropriate amount and length of hackle, head size and shape, silk thread wraps and length on hook shank, etc... They can be fussy...and I like that...reminds me of the movie Three Days of the Condor with Robert Redford and the scene of Max von Sydow hand-painting the little cast lead soldiers meticulously.