Fly Tying
Arkansas Mike

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is like the Kobioshi Maru on Star Trek "the no win secenario" .To me you can't have one without the other. Some of you live in areas where there are fishing seasons , but where I live we fish year round. The only things that keeps me off the water are other commitments and severe weather. Tying can be done in the evenings and wheather seldom effects it. And there is nothing like tying for a particular trip. Crafting each fly to perfection in the hopes of enticing a trophy sized fish. So unlike the model makers who try to create flies that can never be fished ; fishing is why I tie. I can do one without the other ,but it would leave me empty and unfullfilled. This is a very hard question . It would

be as hard as deciding wether to be paralized from the neck down or loseing your sight.

Fred

I tie to enhance my fly fishing experience. Nothing as exciting as hooking up on a new pattern that I have tied myself. Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot of hours every week tying and I am not sure what I would do if I couldn't tie. I would probably save a lot of money but I would be pretty miserable. I have to fish.

I suppose if I gave up tying I would have more time to fish...right...? I got to go with Fred on this one...no win.

I could not give up fishing but someone needs to tie flies so we can buy them. cruel, cruel poll. I can't wait to see the other responses.

I’d have to give up tying. While I truly enjoy tying for friends and family I’d go crazy if I could never fish anything I tie. If I couldn’t fish I’d probably keep tying for a while though. I could see myself tying up a bunch of flies for a buddy who has a big trip planned. But, in the long run, I pretty much have to fish (test) a new pattern that I’ve learned before I feel comfortable giving it to friends or family. If I gave up fishing I’d be stuck tying the same flies and not learning any new patterns or techniques. That would probably bring a slow death to my tying as well.

-D

What a hard choice. I picked fishing only because I spend more time tying than fishing. Just dont have the time I really need to go fishing anymore (DAMN LIFE). So any free time I have which is little by the way, I spend it tying.

Most of us would give up tying and I would also choose to give up tying. however... most of us will still be able to tie well past the time when our bodies will not be able to hike to favorite spots or down steep banks to our favorite streams. Just thinking we may have to give up fishing before we have give up tying.

Lets see, two loves. One, man cave, and a desk. Two mountain stream, fresh air, wild fish. Hmmm, both technical and satisfying, both a cold beer when finished as a celebration. Hmmm, both can be done with my friends, or satisfyingly by myself.

It is a tough choice, but the Mountain stream wins this round. Hello Umpqua, can I start a credit line? Gone fishing. Cheers, Futzer.

I also didn't vote on this one. It would depend on why. When it's time to make that type of choice, then hopefully it's time for them to put me in the ground anyway! :(