Fly Tying
Arkansas Mike

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i enjoy tying so much I would say give up fishing. Doesn't help I have not been out for almost 4 years :( .... been sick but next spring is when I bounce back

For me that is like saying which one of your kids do you love better. :wallbash:

I would give up tying as I am a fisherman first and foremost. I tie flies in order to fish. Since they are so closely related, fishing just wouldn't be the same having to rely on others ideas and creativity (whom doesn't fish assuming you can only do one, tie or fish) to create success.

Well I do love to tie. I would give it up. I like to cast as much as I like to fish.

Michael :headbang:

When I was younger, I would have said I would give up tying before fishing. But now, as hard a choice as it would be, I would say I would give up fishing before tying. I have a dedicated tying space now, small as it is, so I can always tie a fly or two when the mood strikes me. Unfortunately, given the realities of my work schedule and economic status, I can't always go fishing when I want to, and if gas hits $5 a gallon like the experts are saying, my trips may become even more limited.

I am glad, though, that I do not have to make that choice.

Although i have absolutly no intention of giving up either one, but if i was forced to im sorry to say that it would be tying. Like it has been stated so many times before tying is just a means to enhance my fishing experience. Fishing is the main goal and fly fishing is not the only fishing i do. I mainly got into flyfishing for steelhead a few years back and last year was really the first time i incorperated fly fishing into my trout strategy. However i probably spend more time on the boat in the spring and summer fishing for crappie and walleye than trout and steelhead fishing combined so for me to give up fishing all together and keep on tying would really put a damper on my overall happiness lol

If I had to give up one of the two I would give up fishing because I have become addicted to fly tying and I can do it easier than fishing because for fishing I have to go to a place where as for tying I have to go to my fly tying bench.

I'd game the system.

First I'd give up fly fishing. After I accumulated enough flies, I'd quit tying and go back to fishing.

Once the flies were exhausted I'd quit fishing and go back to tying... and on and so forth.

It's a really tough decision to make, but I would probably give up tying. I started tying so I wouldn't have to buy cheap flies tied overseas. I would rather fish with store-bought flies than not fish at all.

I'm new to both and am having to teach myself, so naturally it's easier to learn about which bugs to put on the end of my tippet by learning to tie. So that said I would give up tying because I tie to fish.