Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

Metz or Whiting?

I have used both Metz and whiting dry fly hackle and have not found a significant differance in quality.....yet I know some people who swear by Whiting....just wondering, which one do you guys prefer for which reasons?

Thanks.

Jan

For a long time I used Metz Grade #2 Necks and #1 Saddles. I'd heard so much about Whiting hackles, so I ordered a Bronze Saddle and Cape. In my opinion, there's no comparison. The Whiting's have much longer feathers, with stiffer more uniform barbs with little to no webbing. I can tie 4-6 dries with one saddle hackle. I rarely found any saddle hackles on a Metz that was fit to tie dry flies. Especially size 12 or smaller. Not so with the Whiting's. And the Capes are even more fantastic. Long, slender, stiff barbs with an incredible percentage of "sweet spot". Metz Necks typically had far too much webbing for my taste. The barbs were soft and uneven. To be fair, Metz Grade #1 Necks might be an entirely different story, but I doubt they're any better than Whiting's Bronze grade. And I'd bet my two St. Croix's that they are no where near as nice as Whiting's Silver or Gold Grades. I still occasionally use Metz saddle feathers for palmering Wooly Buggers and get my spade feathers from Metz Necks (The only negative thing I've noticed about Whiting Capes are the lack of good spade feathers for tails). So, if you haven't gathered by now...I'm a big fan of Whiting. Personally, I think they're reputation is well founded and well worth the few extra $$$. My dry flies look %100 better. :rolleyes: What grade of Metz and Whitings are you using?

I agree, I use Whiting capes in Silver and Pro where I can get them. I am in the process of replacing all my old capes. They are basically useless to me after tying with Whiting. Especially with grizzly which tends to be webbier. Hate to have to do it, seems like a waste but all the Metz and others are just too stiff after tasting the fruit of Whiting. Real nice stuff. Real nice.

All of my flies, both personal and commercial, are tied with Whiting silver...no comparison in my mind. The only exceptions for me are Hexs and large Drakes which I use saltwater capes to tie with due to the size.

I have 3 Metz #1 capes. I used one and all the hackle twisted when I tried to wrap it. Never even opened the other 2. Never had this problem with any other necks and I tie mostly with Whiting.

As with the others, I have used both and there's really no comparing Metz to Whiting for dry fly hackle, especially saddles. Whiting's product is far superior in my opinion, and I really like the broad color and size selection. I do use Metz saddle hackle for small wet flies (e.g. Richard's Stillwater nymph patterns) but I've donated all my Metz capes to worthy causes.

Now I personally really wished someone else would produce hackle as good as Whiting, because the market would benefit from the competition. None of the other manufacturers, and I've tried nearly all of them, come close in dry fly, unfortunately. If we broaden the discussion to non-dry fly hackle, then there are a few more producers worth mentioning, but that's another discussion...

I have tried both and now only using Whiting. Color, size, length, etc... You just can't beat them.

I'll pile on and say that I agree with all the others. I own both Metz #1s and Whiting Silvers and there is no comparison -- the Whitings are noticeably better in both barb stiffness and number of flies you can tie per feather. Moreover, Whiting has managed to achieve such a consistent level of quality that I'm even willing to buy them sight unseen despite their relatively high cost.

-- Mike

Whatfly,

How would you compare whiting to Conranch hackle? Was thinking about getting a cree neck from there and was wondering how good it is. I've tested a few others who claim that hackle is hackle and it's been pretty much "what the hell are they smoking" kind of results. Not to say the hackle is bad quality but mainly it's a sizing issue. Most of those necks I've tried would barely be useable on a size 10 dry fly because the barbs are so long (on the smallest feathers on the neck except for the really micro ones at the very top). Been tying mostly with Bronze grade whiting as you can't beat the quality for the price and I just can't bring myself to pull a feather off my gold grades or higher as they're so pretty.

Other necks I really like are Keough as they're quality and barb sizes are pretty good for the $$ and you can find some unique looking necks sometimes.

Thanks for the replies guys, Mike, I am currently using #2 Metz. Personally, I think the hackle is just fine (though like you guys said some of the hackles are a little webby) for the average, run-of-the-mill dries, plus, its less expensive. I like Whiting because as you all said, it has a very consistant quality. But thats just me :rolleyes:

Most of those necks I've tried would barely be useable on a size 10 dry fly because the barbs are so long

Thats weird, the necks I have gotten have hackle down to a size 18.

Jan

I have Keough Tyer's grade necks that I got when I first started. I don't tie many trout dry flies anyways but I'm kinda getting fed up with them. I mean, they're fine for learning and stuff, and the price is good but when I get flies in swaps from people, I'm always jealous of their nice stiff, straight barbs compared to my so so softish barbs. . Thanks to all you guys, I will now go with Whiting necks when I get the money to upgrade.

I'm a Keough guy for Dry Fly and Whiting for bass bugs(whiting american hacklecapes). Whiting is too expensive Keough tiers grade is the 1st choice for me

I believe Keough is recommended by JohnMc and Orvis... and it's very good for the price. I've yet to be convinced Metz has a place in this market... the value is beat by Keough. If you're not concerned by price, I think Whiting is the best that can be bought. As far as Metz is concerned... imagine yourself trying to build a deck or a house with lead nails. Now imagine paying a bit more for stainless steel screws. They'll cost you a bit more with the initial application, but the smaller long term headache is worth it IMO.

Jan,

When I say most necks I meant brands where the brand owner claims their stuff is as good as Whiting and probably 95% of the neck the barbules are all too long for tying a proper dry fly in size 14 and smaller. Not to be mistaken with bad hackle as the hackle is still good quality just mostly not usable for your typical trout flies.