Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Taking pics of fireworks

Hey guys with July 4th just around the corner I'm looking for some advice on taking pics of fireworks. Still in the learning phase with my Cannon 20D so any advice on taking pics of them far as setting and such or any tips that will make for some nice pics?

Thanks

Steve

Hey drifter,

It's pretty simple actually. You'll want a tripod and remote shutter release. Train the camera on the area the fireworks are exploding and use manual focus on the lens. Then switch to the manual exposure mode. There will be a setting called "bulb" or something similar (I'm not sure if Canon uses that term). It's the setting that allows the shutter to remain open for an unlimited amount of time.

Then just use the remote shutter release to open the shutter for various periods of time. 30-90 seconds is usually enough to get some nice effects. I use a mid-range aperture like f/8.

Here's a shot at f/8, 45 seconds.

Fflash001.jpg

Steve pretty much what Thresher said.

1) Tripod, hopefully its sturdy you dont want vibrations from wind etc as you will be doing 30 second and longer exposures. You can do shorter exposures but then your trying to anticipate the "fireworks". Best to open the shutter......and then close it when *you* want.

2) Hence the need for a cable release. If you dont have one and dont want to spend the $100 or so getting it, you'll want to use a) Bulb B) 30 to 45 second exposures, the self timer function to open the shutter. In this way your forcing the camera to start the exposure ( self timer) and your sensor will collect light for the next 30, 45 or however many seconds you tell it to stay open before needing to repeat the process

3) F8 to F11 for your aperture

4) Framing. Generally speaking its nice to include some skyline features ( buildings, a bridge etc) but not neccessary. Try getting both.

Steve pretty much what Thresher said.

1) Tripod, hopefully its sturdy you dont want vibrations from wind etc as you will be doing 30 second and longer exposures. You can do shorter exposures but then your trying to anticipate the "fireworks". Best to open the shutter......and then close it when *you* want.

2) Hence the need for a cable release. If you dont have one and dont want to spend the $100 or so getting it, you'll want to use a) Bulb and B, 30 to 45 second exposures, the self timer function to open the shutter. In this way your forcing the camera to start the exposure ( self timer) and your sensor will collect light for the next 30, 45 or however many seconds you tell it to stay open before needing to repeat the process. Bulb is a setting much like M, Av, TV etc. Check the 20D manual, not sure how to set it, but I know its available.

3) F8 to F11 for your aperture

4) Framing. Generally speaking its nice to include some skyline features ( buildings, a bridge etc) but not neccessary. Try getting both.

My shots from this years town Krazy Daze activities. I used the canon 18-55mm kit lens and wound up setting it at 24mm when I was satisfied with what I would be including in the shots. My exposures were f8 for 8,9 & 6 secs respectively. Opened the shutter when I saw a shell going up and held it for the duration of the burst and those are the times I wound up with. It was a blast. ;)

IMG_5448FireWorks.jpg

IMG_5457FireWorks3.jpg

IMG_5463FireWorks2.jpg

Beautiful pictures guys. And that's exactly the type of tips on settings I was hoping for B)

Hopefully I manage at least a few decent shots. I've never really shot at night though so this will be new for me, so even one nice pic will be a success in my eyes.

Steve

Headed out to some fireworks tonight in about three hours. One other quick question if anyone see's this before I leave.....Will having the haze/UV filter on the lens matter or should I take it off and use no filter at all?

I normally use a camera with a Bulb setting. But, I used a camera this year that didn't have one and I used 1 second, 2 second and 4 second exposures with good success. Aperture was F11 and film was ISO 100. I always use a tripod. But, I've never used a cable release. I'm just very careful not to shake the camera. It helps to have steady hands. If you already have a cable release, by all means use one. I have an article in Creative Image Maker magazine about how to shoot fireworks.

Check it out ....

http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=118

These are some fireworks photos on my web site

http://robvalineimages.com/-/robvalineimag...ry.asp?cat=9790

The Haze filter won't make a bit of difference at night. It's for filtering UV light during the day. I left a Tiffen Haze 1 filter on while doing the shot below just for protection of my lens.

post-10008-1251594482_thumb.jpg

Keep Shooting and Stay Creative !

Rob Valine

www.MySpace.com/RobValine

www.RobValineimages.com