Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cencalfly

Thor

As mentioned in another post, I made a visit to the Golden Gate Anglers and Casting Club in San Francisco to check out their fly collection. They had a copy of the Thor on
display. It looks the same today as the one at the Casting Club. The one at the club was tied in the 1940's.

P.S. Hey Old Hat, they had copy of the Orleans Barber tied by Pray there as well. Your rendition is right on. Theirs was a little faded of course.

Nice tie, simple and efficient.

I'll have to try a few on our East Coast Atlantic Salmon. ;)

Thanks for comments guys.

Jimmyboy, it does looks similar to the Polar Shrimp doesn't it. Pretty much the same fly with just some of the colors switched up. I believe they were both originated and made popular around the same time (1936) on the same river (The Eel River).

Denis, simple and efficient rock. Maybe not the "prettiest" but they can definitely be the hottest. (sounds like a Ginger and Maryann discussion for you Gilligan's Island fans ;) )

Ray, this pattern just doesn't get old.

P.S. Hey Old Hat, they had copy of the Orleans Barber tied by Pray there as well. Your rendition is right on. Theirs was a little faded of course.

Good to hear....thanks.

Your Thor is another outstanding example. What I love about this era of western tying is a lot of the flies were uncomplicated in design and to be fished to certain fish at certain times of the year in specific water. They were all about getting the hookup in any situation but all the flies had a simplistic beauty to them.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this