Featured Fly - Woolhead Baitfish tied by SmallieHunter

can also be found in our fly pattern database: click here

Materials Used

Hook: 4X Long Streamer Hook

Tail: White Rabbit Strip

Body: White Rabbit Strip over Pearl Diamond Braid

Head: White Rams Wool trimmed to shape

Tying Instructions

1. Tie in the lead eyes on top of the hook shank. Be sure to leave plenty of room to make the head of the fly. Bring thread back to bend of the hook.

user posted image

2. Hold the hook in your hand and turn the hook upside down, pierce the rabbit strip at the point where you want the tail to begin. Since this fly rides "hook up" you want the fur to be reaching up toward the hook point. Slide the strip around the bend of the hook. Spread out the fur and make a few wraps to secure into place. Do not trim the excess rabbit strip.

user posted image

3. Tie in the pearl diamond braid and wrap around the hook and tie it in right behind the lead eyes. Trip any excess.

user posted image

4. Bring your rabbit strip foward, pull it tight, and tie it in right behind the lead eyes. Trim any excess.

user posted image

5. Now your going to begin building the head. Tie in your first layer of wool using long fibers so that it flows back to make a seamless transition from the wool to the rabbit strip. Continue to stack the wool up the hook shank using as much wool as you can so that when you trim it will be nice and compact.

user posted image

user posted image

6. Trip the wool to your desired shape. Go slow and don't take too much off at a time.

user posted image

Now you have a baitfish pattern that has nice action with the rabbit strip but also keeps a good profile with the wool head.

user posted image

user posted image

Great looking fly will. IS that the same fly as the ones you listed before your accident, in the picture with the crayfish?

john

John,

Yea that is the same fly. Because of the accident I haven't had a chance to throw it much but I am confident it should work pretty well. wink.gif

Great looking fly Will,keep up the good job.I'm trying my hand at some bunny leeches.

I will have to give it a try.

tt

I meant this fly Will. I do not think it is the same, does not look like wool on the head.

www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/gallery40f8914f1117e.jpg

I got ya I thought you was talking about this pic in the same thread(it does have the woolheads): http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/galle...f8913ee7f00.jpg

Anyway the fly your talking about is much easier that the woolhead but tied somewhat similar. Using the steps for the woolhead pattern, do the rabbit strip the same way. Use large pearl estaz or ice chenille instead of diamond braid for the body and tie it off right behind the lead eyes. Then bring the rabbit strip over the body and tie it off in front of the eyes, trim the excess. Piece of cake wink.gif

Hi Will,

I like the wool head baitfish and also your crayfish; I'd like to publish them in Fly Fish America magazine. If you (or any of the other board members) are interested in getting a pattern published please click on my web site and click on "Submit A Fly" then follow the instructions from there. Thanks for sharing the fly with us. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Cool streamer! I just bought some White Wool a few weeks ago to experiment with a White sculpin, but yours may be just as effective and simpler!

Sweet!

Not too shabby for a crippled Bass fisherman...LOL

I'll bet my lucky hat that this critter will turn a trout.

headbang.gif

QUOTE (Shoe @ Aug 11 2004, 09:45 AM)
I'll bet my lucky hat that this critter will turn a trout.

headbang.gif

Smallie,

Great fly. I've been trying to hook a bass on a flyrod lately, and I think this fly will definitely work in the woods I have been pitching into.

Do you think a weedguard would be helpful, or just leave it as is?

Also, what sizes do you usually tie these in?