Fly Tying
mahaney

Lamson Litespeed

I hit some fly shops last weekend to try out rods and look at reels. One shop recommended the Ross Evolution and the other recommended the Lamson Litespeed. I looked at both and was wondering how the Litespeed holds up to normal wear and tear. The metal is so thin that it looks like it would dent or bend easily. What experience have you litespeed owners had in that respect? When comparing the litespeed to the velocity, I thought the velocity looked and felt stronger even though it is a cheaper model. I read on Lamson's website about the engineering that went into the litespeed. This sounds good for taking on fish, but I worry about taking on rocks....

Thanks,

-Jim

Are you going to fish with the Lamson or hammer nails with it? I've had one on my 10 wt. since they came out with them. No problems at all and one of the best drag systems you'll find. Either reel, the Ross or the Lamson are good.

I probably won't be hammering any nails, but I wonder about it dinging easily if it was dropped on a rocky surface.

-Jim

My dad has one that he used the past two seasons fishing for Salmon & Steelhead and he hasn't had any problems. He loves it !!! He's pretty careful with his reels so I don't know how it holds up to rocks. I purchased the largest size for my spey rod and will be trying it out this fall. I'm a little rougher on my equipment, but I don't have any fear that the Litespeed won't be able to take the abuse.

Chip

I'm tough on my equipment too, so that's why I'm curious about this reel. I figure since I only have limited time to fish, it's not worth it to buy cheap gear. Lots of people say, "If you only use it a few times a year, why not just get something cheap?" Well, if you figure in all the time and money that goes into planning a fishing trip and then going on the trip itself, is it really worth it to take cheap gear that might break and ruin the whole trip? I don't have the time to waste on equipment failure.

Right now, the Litespeed is on my "short list" for possible trout reels. I still would like to see some Hardy reels and maybe some Loop reels, but they are a little spendy.

-Jim

Hear nothing but good things about Litespeed and the 3wt model is on my shopping list for next outfit. It is a very light reel as are most pricey reels and like most products durability is a trade off for shaving weight. The rocks will win everytime no matter what the model brand or price.

I just bought a Ross Evolution and a Rythm for my and my wife's 3 wt's that her dad built for us. I really didn't want to spend the extra $ for the Evolution, but the shop that I was in only had one Rythm in stock. The wife wanted the "pretty blue one" (the Evo), so the deed was done. I told the guy at the shop to put a double taper on my reel and a WF on for the wife. When we got home, I realized that he had put my line on her reel.

Long story short; I now have the Evo and she has the Rythm, and I am very happy with the Evo. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't even consider saving the $50 and would go straight to the Evolution. The drag is nice and smooth, and it is a nice light reel. Definately gets a thumbsup.gif from me.

Okay, now that it's been long enough to where I don't think I'll be derailing the conversation, I have to say...

Every time I look at the title of this thread I think of what a great action-adventure cartoon hero name that would be!

From the 12th moon, of the eighth planet of a distant solar system...

...bearing powers incalculable, and dedicated to wiping out evil wherever it is found...

...he is...

LAMSON LITESPEED!!!

I fish Lamson reels exclusively with one exception, which is my 3-wt. Teton (which I will be unloading within the next 6-months in favor of a Litespeed 1 or 1.5). I have always found Lamson reels to be durable and as good as any out there in terms of performance. My 5-wt. DH T & T is outfitted with the LS2; a great reel that will handle any trout out there likely to be fooled with on such a combo. Through the years I've owned several Lamson reels, and have traded them in from time to time for their more premium models (i.e. traded my Velocitys up for Litespeeds, Litespeeds for ULAs). The difference between the Velocity and the Litespeed is the weight and the design; other than that, same drag, same guts. I personally like the look of the Litespeeds more than the Velocity reels, and they're great value compared to some of the other reels out there. So why did I trade my LS up for a ULA? I [/i]really like the design of that reel! Were it not for that, I'd own all Litespeeds. Models I've owned so far are the LS2, 3.5, and 4. Granted, I'm careful with my stuff, but I still think that the Litespeeds would hold up to a little rough handling as well as most other reels, probably better than many twice the price.

One more thing, FWIW: I had the chance to fish with a Loop FW 5-eight a few weeks after they were introduced, and I can recall thinking about how light it was, and how I was scared s***less that I was going to drop it; it just seemed waaay more delicate than the reels I'm used to. If I had to choose a reel based on weight, I'd pick the Loop, but for all other purposes I'll stay with the Lamsons.