Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

the Total-Hatch Swap

Not sure if anyones interested but.....heres my Caddis Set:

CNymph.jpg

The Underlife-------The Cased Caddis (Peeping Caddis)

CEmerger.jpg

The Transition-----The emerging Caddis (Sparkle Spider Variant)

CAdult.jpg

The fulfillment------The Adult Caddis (Elk Hair Caddis)

Jan

Not sure if anyones interested but.....heres my Caddis Set:

CNymph.jpg

The Underlife-------The Cased Caddis (Peeping Caddis)

CEmerger.jpg

The Transition-----The emerging Caddis (Sparkle Spider Variant)

CAdult.jpg

The fulfillment------The Adult Caddis (Elk Hair Caddis)

Jan

Awesome flies Jan!

I can't wait to get a set of those! :yahoo: :headbang:

gage

Nope, Chance, they didn't get here today. I expect them tommorrow or Friday.

Ok... Great set of flies Jan look great.

Chance

A fine set of March Browns came in today, some wonderful tying there!

Jan

Thanks Jan

Hope they made it ok and hope the westerns come out good..

Chance

My flies are done and in the post, priority. Sorry for holding up this terrific Swap. I had some material issues and I mixed up the due dates.

Total Hatch Swap

Rhyacophila Dorsalis aka The Sandfly

Larval Stage aka Rockworm:

Hook: size 8 grub

Sticky back lead (Virtual-Nymph.com), two layers, preshaping the body with white Benechi 8/0 tying thread, leaving a long strand at the eye of the hook to tye off the bodywhool. The bobbin rests at the tail. Firts tye in the tail, than the rib and than the bodywhool.

Tail: Phyloplume dyed olive, tip severed out.

Body: three ply olive knitting whool, tapered in beginning and the end, wrapped round the shank wound very tight like a rope, leaving a distinct space between the windings.

The space between the segments is overwound first with the tying thread catching yellow dyed partridge hacklefibers for legs between the first three segments.

Follow the groove with a slightly lighter shade of two ply olive embroiderysilk. Ty off and whip. Now stroke an olive felttipped pen over the back. Be sure to not touch the lower lying embroiderysilk, just tint the whool on top and at the sides. In this way you enhance the segmentation and the back will be slightly darker than the belly.

Emerger stage aka The fluttering sedge. Some species don’t crawl ashore and hatch there, but they climb to the surface up the waterplants like reeds etc. There they hatch, fluttering their wings, which is very catching to the eye.

Hook: size 14 dry.

Extension: hollow body off glittery dubbing made round a needle by dubbing and varnishing the needle, then pulling off the hollow body. Stick the hook through the underside of the hollow body and tye it down with the 8/0 white Benechi tying thread. Tye in at the hookbend a yellow CdC hackle by the tip. Wrap the tying thread to the eye and tye in two antennae from tail fibers of the Golden Pheasant. Wrap back to the point three mm forward of the tying in point off the extension. Here tye in four wings made from two strips of Waterwing (Virtual-Nymph.com). Overwrap two longer strips forward for three mm and overwrap backwards so they stand upright. Wrap your tyingthread to the eye and dub with FlyRite nr 30 (March Brown). Wrap the dubbing backwards to the tying in point off the extension, wrap the thread forward to the eye. Wind the CdC hackle two turns behind the hindwings, two turns between the hindwings and the forwings and two turns between the forwings and the eye. Tye off, whipfinnish and take you scissors to nip off the reces. Try to trap the wings and the CdC barbules upright.

Adult stage, the Sandfly

Size 14 longshank

Dub a spikey body with hares ear dubbing.

Tye in a wing form Virtual Nymph (Realistic Caddis Wings).

Wrap an oversized coch-y-bondu hackle, just four to five turns. Clip away top and sides and clip away a smal V at the underside. Overty this with the spikey dubbing you used for the body. Comb the dubbing between the hackle fibres using a strip off Velcro

Sjo Crapels, on the forum known as sjo.

August 20th, 2009