Fly Tying
BigD36575

Foam width

I am new to this sport of lassoing a fish out of the water, and with a limited access to trout filled rivers I am generally after the elusive bass and gill. My question is: most of the foam patterns call for 2mm foam strips, but there is no mention of the width. Is there a general guide to the width to use in relation to the hook size or type of pattern? , i.e the same width as the hook gap.

this is also my first post, hope it works

welcome- you might be the third person in the history of Alabama who knows what a fly rod is!!

There are no real rules for foam. In fact there are no real rules about any aspect of tying. You just need to use what looks right to you and figure out what fishes best. I tie a lot of foam bugs for bass and panfish, and use different widths depending on the fly. Divers might need a wider piece of foam than other types, for example. Part of the addiction of tying is the freedom of experimentation.

For beetles think about June bugs. They are 8mm-25mm in size. That's a lot of variance you can play with.

Ants should be just slightly larger than black ant size. Width of the foam to start is about 1/4 inch.

Hoppers should be hopper size and you will be binding down the body into segments so no more than about 1/2 inch width to start the pattern.

Gartside Gurglers and other similar bass flies can be up to 1/2 inch wide and some frogs can be up to 1 inch.

I use a paper cutter to slice sheet foam evenly and tie many flies at one sitting.

OK, there might be SIX people in Alabama who know what a fly rod is, but not more than three understand you can cast more than one rod length of line with it.

Let me add that would be south of Birmingham... because people here consider anyone north of Birmingham to be a dam' yankee and not in Alabama at all.

OK, there might be SIX people in Alabama who know what a fly rod is, but not more than three understand you can cast more than one rod length of line with it.

Let me add that would be south of Birmingham... because people here consider anyone north of Birmingham to be a dam' yankee and not in Alabama at all.

J.. Im further south than you so does that put me in the jethro catagorie also? :rolleyes:

J.. Im further south than you so does that put me in the jethro catagorie also? :rolleyes:

Snook

I thought that was what the J stood for in J74snook :P

Thanks for the advise. I ordered some foam bug kits to get the idea of size ratios and basic tying techniques. I have found many a patterns out there for foam and I an anxious to try some of them out. Then maybe I can get this new fangled 9' crappie pole to actually catch bass like my others do.

"Fly fishin' ain't that hard....Hmmmmph..... it's getting a good filet off them flies you caught without tearing the meat, now that is the challenge"

welcome- you might be the third person in the history of Alabama who knows what a fly rod is!!

There are no real rules for foam. In fact there are no real rules about any aspect of tying. You just need to use what looks right to you and figure out what fishes best. I tie a lot of foam bugs for bass and panfish, and use different widths depending on the fly. Divers might need a wider piece of foam than other types, for example. Part of the addiction of tying is the freedom of experimentation.

Correct....the "gap" is a good measure, but creativity and neccessity often allow or dictate you work wider, narrower, etc...just like noted above....if the fly floats/dives as desired, then it's right...if it looks like you wanted (porportions, performance, general aesthetics) then it's FREAKIN' SWEET!!

Tight lines!!

J. you should start a club, the six of you need to stick together. You could all meet sometime and fish together, that would really confuse some good ole boys.

Cheers, Futzer.

I can see somewhere in this foam width discussion there is going to be an SEC Conference football & fly tying battle (roll cast tide roll cast) !!! :hyst:

Width will come down to type of pattern & hook size you are using (even when you get down to foam thickness).

Like my beetle patterns can go as far as a 1/4" width. Again...depends even on hook size.

Most good recipes will specify. If you are designing your own foam patterns, it comes down to using your eye (trim to adjust to hook size if you need). Like in this Modified Stoned Hopper Pattern (nooooooo.......I was not stoned at any time while tying this pattern) !!!! B)

post-18775-1249096045_thumb.jpg

Well I manly go the hook gap in width.

Or you can customize it to what you need.

And a great place to get foam is wal mart I get a 40 or 50 pack or diffrent colors for about 1.50 . cant beat it for the buck. they are 2mm thick.

Chance