Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mahaney

Smith River, VA

In my quest for local trout waters, I came across some information on Smith River, VA. It is located ~2 hours from my house, so I am pretty interested in learning more about it. At one time it had some real trophy browns...18+lbs, but now the large ones are in the 10lbs range. It is a tailwater below a hydroelectric damn, that pulls cold water from the bottom of a lake to run the turbines. Hence trout can survive there, even though it is much farther east than most trout streams.

So, has anyone fished there? How was it?

Thanks,

-Jim

I grew up fishing the Smith River. Lived in the Martinsville and Axton area. Hands down it is the best trout stream I ever been on as far as numbers of trout that can be caught in an outing goes. Unfortunatly the days of the 10lbrs are gone. I have lived in Kalamazoo for about 10 yrs now. But have been back a time or two to fish. I will be going once or twice a year from now on as this site has rekindled something for me. Here is a link that you will probably find to your liking. A bunch of the guys on this site fish the Smith alot. Go to the stream reports and it will have tons of info. Look up Al, he does a guide service on the Smith. I go by fishigan down on that site too. Hope this helps.

http://www.highcountryoutdoors.net/temp/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Sign in to follow this