Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DSFlyman

Identify this fly

My buddy's son found someones lost flies along the bank and there were a couple of these guys in there. I tried one and it was the most effective fly of the day. I have tied a bunch in copper and chartreuse and both are fantastic. The head is just built up green holographic metallic thread with the black tying thread. I'm curious what exactly it imitates - I'm going with a caddis larva. And I would love to know who takes credit for this bad boy and what they call it. Anyone have any ideas?

brasscaddis.jpg

Not sure who tied it or what it is. If it works, that is all that matters. I might have to tie a few up.

Thanks for sharing,

Rob

That is a variation on the brassie. Brassie has the copper wire wrapped on the back 2/3 of the hook, and peacock herl wrapped on the front third. The metalic thread, will give it a little more flash. Its mostly used as a midge larva imitation. In larger sizes, it could be a caddis, but I mostly tie those up in sizes 18 to 24. They work very well almost any place.

I 've been making one, this one is called "river skipper" it is a variation of Davie McPhails' buzzer. They are great attractors. One of my goto flies. Tie it on when you want to test new areas, it is sure to let you know what is in there.

post-15490-1248781779_thumb.jpg

That is a variation on the brassie. Brassie has the copper wire wrapped on the back 2/3 of the hook, and peacock herl wrapped on the front third. The metalic thread, will give it a little more flash. Its mostly used as a midge larva imitation. In larger sizes, it could be a caddis, but I mostly tie those up in sizes 18 to 24. They work very well almost any place.

Diddo

shane

I had thought it was someone's spin on a Brassie, but the chartreuse ones threw me. I thought they were little rockworms. It looks like the chartreuse have a black stripe from a permanent marker all the way along the back - very thin. Not sure if that is intentional. I just noticed it now.