Fly Tying
Dezod

Itsy Bitsy Fly Swap and Contest

thanks for the offers guys, they are very generous. I can always look at the midge jaws from giffin. I really need them anyway. And I just love stimulating the economy. Currently Ive been having fun having my wife hold the #30s in her teeth. :rolleyes:

The new magnifier will come in handy although it took some getting used to this weekend when I finished up my droppers for the tandem swap.

thanks for the offers guys, they are very generous. I can always look at the midge jaws from giffin. I really need them anyway. And I just love stimulating the economy. Currently Ive been having fun having my wife hold the #30s in her teeth. :rolleyes:

The new magnifier will come in handy although it took some getting used to this weekend when I finished up my droppers for the tandem swap.

Where do you clamp your Mckensie light? Better yet, don't say. Mrs. Ridleyffo must be a real trooper. I think I am going to go Trico for my fly. Right now sitting in the Hampton Inn in Grand Junction, CO. The Colorado is only 20 min away, the Grand Mesa, a hour. Do I have a rod, of course not. Maybe time to go full goose trout bum. Especially after seeing Dronlee's adventure in Mongolia, this work thing is way over rated.

Anxious to tie some micro bugs.

Cheers, Futzer.

BTW, Ridleyffo, I hand tie my snells, so the bobbin threader is still a unitasker.

Welcome tx, saltydog, rockworm and utyer

the good news is we probably won't need altoids tins if we keep our toe tags small

C

Just found Mini Altoids and they come in a tiny tin! Will be perfect for this swap.

One set of 18-32 trico spinners finished for the champion. Half of the olive midge dries with grey CDC wing done. Gang green midges yet to tie. I will miss any tying time this week, but will finish all by labor day. And if I get the chance I will do a set of my RS2 emerger variant for the South Platte.

Cheers, Jeff aka Futzer.

Thanks to the rain, I just finished my set and I'm ready for the addy. I think Jeff will be proud.

Depending on the rest of the day, I would like to be able to make up some emergers as well.

-Greg

Alright gang I am back, not that I was particularly missed. Sent addys to salty and tx. I have a lot of tying to do.

Had no luck shasing the steelhead in Cali, but thanks to old hat I did have a wonderful time. I was forbidden from hiring a guide, so that definitely hurt me, but thanks to old hat I was able to learn a number of new patterns and have a lot of fun both fishing and tying in preparation. I did manage a half dozen trout like fish on the eel river in northern cal all on dry flies. THey were shiny with orange fins. All were released to fight another day. I also cried as I drove past the Smith river in Cal, and Oregon's Rogue river with no time to fish. My little family was not there to fish, we were there to see big trees and Crater lake, but I told my wife that ten years from now we are going to do the same trip and she better get a stack of books, or learn to fly fish. I have a 5 year old boy, a 3 year old boy and a third boy due in October and ten years from now we are hiring a guide at each stop... Salmon and steelhead on the Klamath, trout on the smith and the trinity, Trout and steelhead on the Rogue and Redsides on the Deschutes (we didn't go there, but if I ever get that close to that river again I can't not fish for redsides). Overall it was a very fun trip, even with no chrome.

As for the contest I am excited to see what people are doing. I will copy the updated first post to later in the thread so that everyone can track the progress.

C

I starting working on my fly prototypes and broke two out of two #28s :wallbash: Both were due to my attempts to just rip some 12/0 from the hook. Patience or scissors would probably serve me better. I was working on this fly with CTC tail (old discontinued orivs material), baby legs alive abdomen, black thread rib and I never got past the thorax and the furry icd dub loop rib I tried to make didnt work, TWICE.

My black grammon is still likely going to be the fly but there are bound to be many proto(fups)types in the process. And I will either fish or at least float them in the pool before I consider them true "Bobby Bugs".

thank god for the mag lite i got, sure saved the eyes last night.

The trip sounds great. I am not to sure on the rivers but for someone to plan for a ten year trip it must be some great fishing. Sounds like I need to do the same and just shadow you lol j/k.

Chance

Just to give you guys an update.

I have the new midge jaws for my Renzetti.

I upgraded my mag eyes.

The Benecchi 12/0 has arrived.

I have been making tools to hold and work on the materials. (Who would believe that you need a tool just to put the hook in the vice and not your finger!!! And oh by the way you have a better chance to win the lottery than you have of finding a hook you dropped!!)

I have done some practice on some 28's and I can dub a body and counterwrap it with some quills I stripped for another swap! (Who said there wasn't any use for those old cheap capes I bought.)

I am still working out the front end of the bug.

I do have one question. How the hell do I put a toe tag on these things!!!! I may put them on mounts or maybe send each one in it's own little tube.

I will send pics when I get my new computer. Mine just gave up the ghost. Fortunately, Bellingham has a nest of geeks, wizards, saviors, who were able to glean a lot off my flaming hard drives and save me a great deal of pain.

And I took a little time off to celebrate the Big 60. <_< <_< <_<

Frank aka Student4evr

Frank no need to feel <_< about 60. you're fishing and hopefully still f ng. better than taking a dirt nap or be too tired and sore to get out and live. Hell 60 sounds pretty good. If i remember your posts from the past, it seems like you have plenty of time to fish now. Want to fill in for work for me? <_< <_<

I can also appreciate the hurdles you have been going through with this craaaazy swap. I feel similarily. Last night I tried to use a different electric cord (froma camera recharger with a transformer on it) for my brand new mag lite and I fried the dam thing. Cabelas would surely replace it, as it is brand new, but I feel that would be stealing so hopefully it is just the bulb and not the wiring.

I was thinking that if I tied a double trico on a #16 would that make it a #32 :rolleyes:

What type of tool did you make to vise the hook?

Frank - I've received flies in little zip lock baggies in the past. I would think something like that would work