Fly Tying
Dezod

Itsy Bitsy Fly Swap and Contest

My ears were burnin' Futzers in!!!!!

If I get real crazy, I will do #32 double humpies. Kidding aside. I would be honored to participate. Thanks for thinking of me Dezod and Salty, and just to sweeten the pot I will send hooks and some 8X fluorocarbon, for the lucky winner (excluding myself from the contest portion). Utyer, or anyone participating anything special you'd like to see tied? I will tie something suggested. Fred, you may want to join this one, 32's will catch panfish, we just need to get you a 0 or 1 weight

:-).

Thanks Salty for PMing me, I have been working like a madman and have not been keeping up with the forum lately. I sure hope someone is fishing, I need some stories.

Cheers, Jeff aka Futzer.

Caught sight of this kinda late . If you guys do this again I want in.

Fred

PS . Jeff can you send me some 64 s . Someone just ordered an ameba.LOL

Here is an update for the swap:

1. txflytier- Addy Sent- Received

2. Saltydog- Addy Sent- Received

3. rockworm- Addy Sent- Received

4. utyer- Addy Sent- Received

5. Student4ever-

6. Rich5665- Received

7. Ridleyffo- Addy Sent- Received

8. sjo- Addy Sent- Received

9. rstout- Addy Sent- Received

10. PK- Addy Sent- Received

11. Futzer- Addy Sent- Received

12. ecflies-

SM- Dezod

My ears were burnin' Futzers in!!!!!

If I get real crazy, I will do #32 double humpies. Kidding aside. I would be honored to participate. Thanks for thinking of me Dezod and Salty, and just to sweeten the pot I will send hooks and some 8X fluorocarbon, for the lucky winner (excluding myself from the contest portion). Utyer, or anyone participating anything special you'd like to see tied? I will tie something suggested. Fred, you may want to join this one, 32's will catch panfish, we just need to get you a 0 or 1 weight

:-).

Thanks Salty for PMing me, I have been working like a madman and have not been keeping up with the forum lately. I sure hope someone is fishing, I need some stories.

Cheers, Jeff aka Futzer.

Caught sight of this kinda late . If you guys do this again I want in.

Fred

PS . Jeff can you send me some 64 s . Someone just ordered an ameba.LOL

What color amoeba do you want Fred? :-) Cheers, Jeff.

I got out on Valley Creek yesterday to try out my submission for this swap. VC really is an amazing little stream. Chock full of fish, way more than its class A wild trout water designation and probably one of top three hardest streams to fish in Pennsylvania.

That being said, I hit the stream at about 5:30 after work. water was gin clear and although I didnt have my thermometer I woudl say the water temp was about 60F +/- 2 degrees. A few sporadic BWOs were noticed.

These dam fish are spooky, they spook when you are still 12-15 ft away from the stream edge. the only way to catch is either crawl or get to your casting spot and wait about 10 minutes. I threw at least seven flies at them including my #28s as a dropper under an ant, under a beetle, under a BWO. Tried a scud, a czech and GRHE all for naught.

I did catch two nice little wild browns though at about 8" each. It really is amazing how much brighter the colors on these wilds is as compared to the stocked browns I usually catch. Guess what the goto fly was and im sure you will all cringe.

Bead Head Greenie Weenie. All the beauties I threw at them and they eat a junk fly. Go figure.

Although I tested my #28 submissionis they are still unproven. Maybe tonight I will have better luck with them, but i have to admit I put a few more junk flies in the box last night including some sucker spawn. The suckers in the stream look 24" but can never get them to hit anything.

Bob

I sent mine out today.

I intended to send them out Monday, but then I decided that the little Mustad plastic hook box just didn't do these size 26s justice, so I went to the basement, got a hunk of walnut, some foam, hinges, and two magnets, and four hours later (over the course of a few days) the little fellas were tucked away in a brand new fly box designed for size 20 and smaller flies. Consider it a prize to the winner as well, folks. I'd post a picture, but I didn't take any until the flies were already in the box, and I'd hate to ruin the contest by disclosing any more than I already have about what I've tied.

(If by some mad coincidence I win, I ask that it becomes the prize for second place instead.)

Thanks for the challenge all.

-PK

PK and all, I am very anxious to see your work, fish it and share mine with you. Craftsmen all, I am really excited over this swap, thanks, Dezod.

Cheers, Futzer aka Jeff.

And Bob, if you are ever near Colorado, and the South Platte or the Thompson or the Blue below Dillon Res. , or Henry's Fork in Idaho, or the Provo in Utah, call me. I would be happy to fish with you. Show you how to I cast on my belly, a long way from the pool. Just be prepped to hit the water at 4 am. Aki bono style. And if you want to hook the big suckers, Futzer's micro san Juan, really a blood midge will get you there, I will send a couple.

Bob -

Have you tried wearing camo, I don't mean a gilley suit.. but a long sleeve t shirt or jacket. I found the the little lehigh trout to be spooky as well and then the next time I put on some camo and was able to hook up (the hot pink speedo might have been scaring them off). You will get my fly in this swap that I have been using up there and its been productive. I have resisted the urge for that green weenie and the other thing they use which is just a piece of old cotton chenille wrapped around a hook.. with all the materials I buy it just doesn't seem right to use such a simple fly ;-) Though I did just tie up a few sucker spawns to try this weekend. :rolleyes:

best,

Greg

Jeff

I would love to fish those western waters with you. I know I could learn alot. Life keeps getting in the way of my dreams though. The problem with crawling into this stream is that right now it looks like the amazon jungle. My wife was giving me the hairy eyeball when she saw several scratches across my chest. :rolleyes: Luckily she knows I dont have the energy or money to chase another woman. <_<

I appreciate the offer and would love to see that SJW but a picture would suffice. You are always much too generous.

belly casts are definitely out of the question on VC. You could maybe accomplish it with your arm hangin over the bank. I considered dappling but that just seems infantile to me. I was using my fairly new 6.5' 3wt. It is so tight and with switchback turns on VC that even roll casts with such a short rod are difficult. I try to align with the stream direction and use one handed spey casting with a good double haul. Only way to avoid snagging the bushes and such and still stay far enough from the fishys. One lucky thing about the suckers though is that they are big so you can see them from far off. And where there are suckers there are usually trout so I sight cast around the suckers if possible.

Salty

I certainly could dress better too. I refuse to wet wade VC as it is pretty cold so I wear my old simms that are tan, not exactly the best camo. My green waders are too new to be traipsing through the brambles and crawling over twigs. I might try to "Camo them up" though. do you think sharpies or spray paint would work?

We are too close to each other not to have fished together yet. I'll PM you to find a way to get out.

Thanks for the input guys.

Tight Lines

Bob

Alright everyone here is the update.

I went fishing in my favorite canyon over the long weekend. From Thurs to Monday morning me and a buddy each had 50 fish it was some of the best fishing I have had all summer. My plans were to tie up the remainder of the flies for the swap during off stream hours, but the fish were tearing apart the hoppers we were fishing almost faster than I could tie new ones. Needless to say that fishing like that is the best way I can think of to ruin my tying plans.

When I got home there was a package with flies and a very nice box from PK as well as some very nicely tied flies from txflytier. The swap flies are starting to roll in and the voting is going to be very difficult.

This has turned into a much funner swap than I had originally anticipated, and the winner is going to be walking away with some seriously cool prizes.

I'll be on the lookout for the rest.

C

My flies flew this morning. I called my fly "Legion" as it will work for at least two mayflys both wet and dry and also a dry or wet midge. I actually had some success with it on Saturday morning when I was able to steal 3 hours on falling spring from my wife's visit to her aunt in Gettysburg.

Couldnt get those wild browns to take three different trico patterns and my buddy had stated earlier in the week that Legion would make a good trico imitation. The browns still wouldnt take it as a dry but when I twitched it under the film, I landed three and missed one in less than an hour. Actually the best luck I had on this gin clear spring creek to date.

Hope you all like them.

Sorry I have been at work for 4 straight days... littlerally.

Saturday I got flies from rockworm and rstout.

Expecting flies soon from Ridley, Jeff, utyer, sjo and Rich

Have heard from everyone except Frank and ecflies, but seeing as Frank has never missed a deadline before I am not worried. Will continue trying to contact ecflies, but maybe 1 no show.

All the ties so far are awesome and the forum is going to have a hard time choosing.

I will keep everyone posted as the last of the flies come in.

C