Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bulldog5485

TYING AREA

My fly tying area is the most comfy chair in the family room. I made a lap desk that rests on the chair so I can tie while I watch movies etc and kick my feet up.

_MG_8013.jpg

HELLO GENT & LADIES,

I am looking for suggestions on what do with my tying area, right now I tye out on the kitchen table by way of a cutting board bench that I made for myself, with the help of my Pops because my woodworking skills aren't as good as my fly tying skills lol. Anyway I am looking to get an L - Desk to put in the corner of the room to run the laptop on so it can be handy and also have the spot to tye... now before you burn me I did see the post that Bruce has put of I was wondering if anyone else has a set up like this.... I need enough room because normally I run two vises a griffin blackfoot Mongoose with the Dyna King extension arm and a Nor Vise that is mounted on a profile board. I m looking to organize material in or on small peg board, and various boxes.... If any one could please give me an idea as to were I could get a desent L style desk it would be appreciated.... Staples had one but its quality seemed suspect.... any way thanks again for the help guys or if you could provide a picture of a similar set up it would help !

Kevin

I have a great corner in my back bedroom; fly tying desk/table set up; three vises (a table Steverlynck Tierra Del Fuego Argentine made full Rotary vise , & two Thompson A Clamp vises. All types of fly fishing & fly tying pics on the wall & memorabilia. a magnification light & regular light. I want an Ott Lamp for natural lighting & a good macro digital photo set-up (yea...dream on....when the money comes). Need a better organization system for materials & all, but that will get there...as well as fly collection fileing (sp) system.

All things getting there (slowly), it is a great, relaxed place to design, tie, & relax !!! Need it, when you are a fly designer, and a production fly tyer that is taking it to the next leval (from partime business to fulltime) !!!

Cheers !!!!

Alpinefly :headbang: oops....that was deee vodka & coke buzz lol !!! :yahoo:

P.S. Big Daddy...........just love that arse fly (?)....just don't let it come back & bite ya in the butt on the backcast !!!!! :hyst:

My tying table (see picture,) is in an old TV cabinet. It was in the house when we moved in. Its a huge 12 foot counter about 3 feet high, and 2 feet deep. There are doors that open in the center that make a 4 foot opening. The rest of the cabinet is all filled with my tying stuff. The 4 feet on each side of the desk area, has cabinets with shelves. These are also full of tying stuff, fishing stuff, and my magazine collections. Most of my books are in the bookcases down stairs.

The desk consists of a 48 x 24" piece of plywood with 8" sides and back. The tying table is setup for my Nor-Vise and tools. When I use the Dyna-King vise, I drop it through a hole in the table and it comes out the same height. It rarely looks any better than this. I am NOT a neat tyer. But the whole desk slides into the cabinet, and I can close the doors. There was a time (2001 I think it was,) that the top counter was clean, but not since then. The whole room (on the third floor,) is my area. Fishing and tying, guitars, banjos, mandolin, dulcimer, painting stuff, it all fits in my 19 by 12' room. As long as I don't track too much fur, and fluff down the stairs, the wife is ok with the mess up there.

post-12074-1249256728_thumb.jpg

Ahhhh!!, utyer... :crazy: After seeing your tying table I can't kick the urge to fly to Pennsylvania

and straighten up. Seriously...I have OCPD. I'd go crazy. That's probably one reason why your flies look 100 times better

than mine. You spend more time tying and less time worrying about everything being "in its place" .

Mike

You should see the floor around the desk. I have 26 plastic containers with different materials. Some are shoebox size, two are 24 by 12 by 6, and 4 are 12 by 16 by 6. Each has similar materiials in it. When I need hackle, I get the box out from its cabinet, when I need dubbing, (4 boxes) I pull out the right box, and so on. Once a week or so, I clean up the table, and put all the boxes back in the cabinets (ok maybe more like once a month.) I am org challenged. I once had a list of what was in each numbered box, but I lost it.

My tying table (see picture,) is in an old TV cabinet. It was in the house when we moved in. Its a huge 12 foot counter about 3 feet high, and 2 feet deep. There are doors that open in the center that make a 4 foot opening. The rest of the cabinet is all filled with my tying stuff. The 4 feet on each side of the desk area, has cabinets with shelves. These are also full of tying stuff, fishing stuff, and my magazine collections. Most of my books are in the bookcases down stairs.

The desk consists of a 48 x 24" piece of plywood with 8" sides and back. The tying table is setup for my Nor-Vise and tools. When I use the Dyna-King vise, I drop it through a hole in the table and it comes out the same height. It rarely looks any better than this. I am NOT a neat tyer. But the whole desk slides into the cabinet, and I can close the doors. There was a time (2001 I think it was,) that the top counter was clean, but not since then. The whole room (on the third floor,) is my area. Fishing and tying, guitars, banjos, mandolin, dulcimer, painting stuff, it all fits in my 19 by 12' room. As long as I don't track too much fur, and fluff down the stairs, the wife is ok with the mess up there.

Now this is more my speed...A messy desk, is a healthy desk, IMO!

Try stopping by an unfinished furniture store. They usually have a good supply of desks that would suit you.

I would be careful with that glass and the c-clamp on your vise.

I found a great rolltop desk on Craigslist, so I'll second that idea from Scud.

Its nice to be able to close the desk and walk away, so my wife's cats don't get into my stuff!

Try target.com and look for Modern L-Shaped Computer Workstation - Mahogany

This will get your computer and keyboard out of the way to work on important tying stuff.

the previous owner left an old work bench which I was going to throw away-lightbulb moment...sand it down. perfect height! will post a pic when done...

marc

Its nice to be able to close the desk and walk away, so my wife's cats don't get into my stuff!

You know, AF_Tier... I have heard of people using cat fur for dubbing.

On the other hand...you might would rather to remain married. And alive...

Mike

Well, the military has always told me it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

When my wife comes home today and finds a big strip shaved down the back of her cats, I tell her that FTF made me do it!