Fly Tying
DavidR

To catch a Mullet or two...

There are a number of saltwater lagoons in the area I live. Amongst the fish in them are Redfish, Trout, Flounder and the very rare Tarpon. But one species they do not lack is Mullet. Has anyone come up with a fly pattern they are willing to share that consistently fools Mullet. I figure catching some of these 2-3 pound fish on a 4 or 5 wt could be a fun way to spend some time - especially as for the most part it would be sight fishing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

There are a number of saltwater lagoons in the area I live. Amongst the fish in them are Redfish, Trout, Flounder and the very rare Tarpon. But one species they do not lack is Mullet. Has anyone come up with a fly pattern they are willing to share that consistently fools Mullet. I figure catching some of these 2-3 pound fish on a 4 or 5 wt could be a fun way to spend some time - especially as for the most part it would be sight fishing.

I tied a few flies from a European site - I cast it among 1000 mullet one day and they swam over, under and around the fly :wallbash:

If you find one that works - please pass it along

Hi for mullet fly guys

I got this from the european mullet fishing website while trying to look for a fly for mullet.

DSC02861.jpg

You can try, I have not landed a mullet as yet, but got queenfish, grunters and something else.

Believe to be as hard as getting a hookup on Milkfish? :wallbash:

Cheers

Tacklebloke

The December 2009 issue of Florida Sportsman has an article on catching mullet on hook and line, including on fly. It says to "use a small, dark green fly. For instance, a small nymph on a no. 10 hook with a little dark green dubbing. Try using 3 or 4 different shades of green and perhaps a mix of yellow/green." It also shows pictures of a few wooley buggers w/ marabou tails in light and dark olive. Pretty much wou want something to imitate algae since that is what mullet feed on.

I have caught a few on plugs during the fall mullet run but that was because there were literally thousands of them feeding voraciously and I guess a few got carried away and hit the plug. Amazingly they were all hooked in the mouth indicating that they struck the plug, rather than getting snagged.

No hate mail Guys.

Weighted treble hook. works everytime and just let that hooked and injured mullet fall below the bait pod and get gobbled up by a big ole Stripped Bass. I know that doesnt really answer your question, but if the mullet are around, I would search out what is feeding on them.

I would have to agree that little green pellet flies might work as stated they dont eat much protein. Dam Vegans!

Old folks where I lived in NW Florida used to throw out handfuls of can corn and then send down a niblet or 3 on a treble hook...try an orangy yellow egg fly

Mullet are big time bread eaters. We fished them at night and put out a chum of torn up stale bread. Fished 3 bobber rigs with about 4-6" snells hanging from them and caught them 2 & 3 at a time. We baited with fresh bread. Some bread center rolled between thumb and forefinger to make a flower and then threaded on the hook.

Maybe you could approximate this with white egg yarn and hang it from a deer hair popper to keep it up near the top. You could catch 95% of the inshore fish in Hawaii from a loaf of bread. Just work your way up the food chain.

Might sound crazy but my old man made a bunch of money off mullet from 59-62. It sold for .99/lb. back then and that was good money! Low overhead ....... he'd send us down to the chow hall for all the stale bread you could ever want! :hyst:

We bait fish with them all the time off the NJ coast. typically use a cast net and get buckets full. When the blues are blitzing the beach you can just go by and pick up the suicide mullet right on the surfline.

They weren't the days target and there were thousands of them running the coastline, and even though it was hooked in the corner of the mouth I don't think I have figured anything out since it only happened once on a two day trip down PINS...small pink on white clouser...

post-15973-1261008242_thumb.jpg

post-15973-1261008334_thumb.jpg

I believe mullet feed primarily on zooplankton and small bits of dead plant matter. If you catch one on a fly, it's probably because that particular fish skipped school (pun intended) the day they handed out the menus. You could see if they'll hit a #28 spinach pattern. If it works, you could try it on a whale shark or a manta ray when you get tired of catching mullet.

I'm have couple of mullet patterns that i'll stick on soon, i recently moved to japan and dont have tying stuff sorted out yet.

they're quite a popular species in Britain until i sort out tying stuff think small unweighted shrimpy things, in the size 8-16 range.

hope this helps

marty