Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dronlee

Hi from Malaysia

Hi all,

I have up loaded a few patterns, and only then realized that there is this place to introduce my self... ( my mom would shout to me ... YOU no manners...!!! remember knock the door before enter... )

Sorry...... :wallbash:

I'm Dron Lee, a Malaysian Chinese that live in Kuala Lumpur....I would call my self a newbie... as I have only less then 2 years in fly fishing and fly tying..... in Malaysia, fly fishing is still at an early stage....and our of group fly fishers are still comparatively small... but it is slowly gaining the public interest and WILL be getting popular soon.....

Fly Fishing in Malaysia, this was a sport that some call it 'for the weird guys' game...( I was one of the some one... ) people were saying... why are these people swinging the rod so many times to flip some line in the air...????? I can cast my lure by just a single flip of my rod.....

Ummmm..... I have totally change my view 2 years ago when I actually see one of our fly fisher hook up a GT on flat..... it was awesome.... the bend of the rod, the scream from his reel.... and the painful expression from his face.... and look at his fly... I'm amazed......

After that trip.... I freezeeed all my BC..jigging...popping gears.... and get my self a good fly fishing set.....manage to hook up some good fish on my first fly fishing trip............ now...spending most of my time in fly fishing.... ( I hope my wife won't divorce me for this.... )

It's totally different... when your own flies work and reward you with your target fish..... the satisfaction... is..... ( don't know how to say..!!!)... some say better then sex.. :yahoo:

Fly Fishing and Fly Tying.......There are so much to learn....

Dron

Hi all,

I have up loaded a few patterns, and only then realized that there is this place to introduce my self... ( my mom would shout to me ... YOU no manners...!!! remember knock the door before enter... )

Sorry...... :wallbash:

I'm Dron Lee, a Malaysian Chinese that live in Kuala Lumpur....I would call my self a newbie... as I have only less then 2 years in fly fishing and fly tying..... in Malaysia, fly fishing is still at an early stage....and our of group fly fishers are still comparatively small... but it is slowly gaining the public interest and WILL be getting popular soon.....

Fly Fishing in Malaysia, this was a sport that some call it 'for the weird guys' game...( I was one of the some one... ) people were saying... why are these people swinging the rod so many times to flip some line in the air...????? I can cast my lure by just a single flip of my rod.....

Ummmm..... I have totally change my view 2 years ago when I actually see one of our fly fisher hook up a GT on flat..... it was awesome.... the bend of the rod, the scream from his reel.... and the painful expression from his face.... and look at his fly... I'm amazed......

After that trip.... I freezeeed all my BC..jigging...popping gears.... and get my self a good fly fishing set.....manage to hook up some good fish on my first fly fishing trip............ now...spending most of my time in fly fishing.... ( I hope my wife won't divorce me for this.... )

It's totally different... when your own flies work and reward you with your target fish..... the satisfaction... is..... ( don't know how to say..!!!)... some say better then sex.. :yahoo:

Fly Fishing and Fly Tying.......There are so much to learn....

Dron

Welcome Dron. I liked seeing the pictures on the pages of you cricket.I saw some carp what are the other fish?

Fred

Welcome to the forum. There are some excellent tyers here who are willing to help out with any questions you may have. We are also interested in any information you are willing to give.

Again, welcome

Rob

Welcome Dron, I have to admit I am impressed by your level of tying after only 2 years. Some people are gifted that way I guess. Keep uploading your flies, I've marked all of them so far!

Hi Fred,

The carp that you saw was our native river carp, local call it 'Jelawat'.... this fish is a tough fighter.... they favor insect and nymph....

28022009-1.jpg

jelawat02.jpg

As for this one... we call it 'Kalui' in Malaysia.... or also know as Giant Gourami.... she is also favor insect and nymph... most of the time, we saw her raise to sip the insect on surface... present the flies next to her, she will most likely take it.... ( if you didn't spoke her... )

DSC00748.jpg The Kalui...

28020915-1.jpg Pink Kalui....

Due to her size... she could grow more than 10kg... hooking up, will give you a hell of fight..... and you need to pull her off the snag..... these are some Giant gourami hook up by our Singaporean Fly Fisher...

pink_kalui_on_hopper1_219.jpg Adult Pink Kalui..

kalui_on_japanese_babe_121.jpg

I hope the info is helpful.....

Dron

Welcome Dron !!! Look Forward to seeing a lot more of your patterns & fish pics !!!!

Here is a pattern that even the Carp will like (recipe on www.flytyingworld.com) Black Sabbath Emerger (enjoy & cheers B) ):

post-18775-1249501056_thumb.jpg

Dron

Ive really enjoyed all of your fly postings and the pics above are great. Keep posting with local pics as well, as I feel priviledged to get a view into Malaysia. It is funny that despite being halfway across the world from me, you introduction sounds like so many of the guys in the states. the wife, reels smoking, fishing with the boys, learning bugs and nymphs. It all sound so familar I could be one of your buds holding up a fish. or a :cheers: :cheers: :drunk:

Tight Lines

Bob

the second to last fish on that page looks very simalar to my tank fish called a pink kissing guramie .nice pictures great looking fish

Welcome to the site, I was in KL a few years ago and didn't realize that there was fly fishing available otherwise I would have packed a kit. I did catch some fish here to eat :rolleyes:

post-17895-1249603677_thumb.jpg

post-17895-1249603723_thumb.jpg

Yes... Saltydog,

There is a fly fishing shop in Subang, just out skirt of KL, call Tackle Box ..... most of the fly fishers gather there to share the jokes and fishing experience on Saturday noon.....

In Tackle Box... he carries some good brand from Sage, Winston, Redington, Ross, TFO.... SA line, Rio, sage fly lines...... Abel, Ross, bauer... tying materials.... and the owner ( Nick ) is very very friendly.... so far, this have been the only Fly Fishing tackle shop in KL... and could be the only in whole Malaysia..... :(

If you ever have a chance coming back to KL.... let me know... will bring you around.... to the Tackle box...... and fishing perhaps..... :)

My mobile is 019 3859965

Welcome Dron!

I have Gourami in my fish tank. When reading the history of the fish, it stated they are found in rice patties and eat small insects. I never realized they got that big. 10kg... really? Maybe we should call them "Malaysian Steelhead!" lol

Tight lines buddy!

Welcome Dron!

I have Gourami in my fish tank. When reading the history of the fish, it stated they are found in rice patties and eat small insects. I never realized they got that big. 10kg... really? Maybe we should call them "Malaysian Steelhead!" lol

Tight lines buddy!

Yes, HartlyRed...

The specimen caught in one of our Dam ( water reservoir ) mark at 9KG++... using cricket.... by a Malay fisherman....