Fly Tying
smalltownfisherman

How do you thread your bobbin?

Boobin threading.  

442 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I started (it seems like it was just 8 months ago, yes it was 8 months ago). I started with 10lb florocarbon line folded in half for a threader. That lasted a week and now I'm a sucker.

I suck it through. If that doesn't work after a few tries (wax buildup or whatever) I'll use one the dozens of dental floss threader strewn all about my tying desk.

FYI on waxy gunk build up, put them in a collander over a steaming pot of water for about 5-10 minutes, close to the water but not in it. Then using a potholder or glove to hold it, run a fine pipe cleaner or quadruple folded over cotton thread through the tube a few times. The gunk comes out easily.

Cheers, Futzer.

FYI on waxy gunk build up, put them in a collander over a steaming pot of water for about 5-10 minutes, close to the water but not in it. Then using a potholder or glove to hold it, run a fine pipe cleaner or quadruple folded over cotton thread through the tube a few times. The gunk comes out easily.

Cheers, Futzer.

I prefer do use my weather, seasoned, callused man hands! :headbang:

I guess I should have chosen threader instead of other but I make my own threader out of .010 non-lead wire. Its softer than a regualar threader so it won't scratch the inside of the bobbin.

I have a half dozen nor-vise auto bobbins and several regular and I use a threader on them, never any probs..

Too lazy to try and thread the end of the thread into the hole of the bobbin in the first place, the threader slides right in and springs open when through so easy as pie, to put the thread through and then slide the threader out and good to go..

I used to be a sucker. Now I have two threaders I made out of 1/4 inch dowel rods and 8 or 10 lb hi vis mono.

-D

Matarelli threader/cleaner except on my C&F's then I use the threader that comes with them. Too many people touch my bobbins in fly tying classes to be sucking on them :sick:

...I'm hoping before too much longer I'll have pretty much everything I need ready to go...

Yeah... let me know when THAT happens... :lol:

I use the dental floss threaders as learned on this forum a few years ago...

the old timers used to call it being a wax sucker--- so I never cared cause I don't use wax--- I'll suck it like a $2 ?hore al day long, it's quick, gets the job done and keep my thead on the hook--- bota bing bota boom