Fly Tying
smalltownfisherman

How do you thread your bobbin?

Boobin threading.  

432 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Man am i glad i read this post.I have struggled with threading bobbins for years.I use 10/0 and smaller frequently and to be quite candid it was a d*&n hard chore.Until i just went over to the tying desk and tried the sucking method.Man,it works like a charm.Wished i would have found this out years ago.So now i am definattely the newest and happiest thread sucker around.

shane

p.s.

thanks for posting this thread.

None of the above....I just push the thread up through the tube.

Jan

The same way I do it. Takes some time but pretty easy. :-)

I use a long strand of copper wire from an old extension cord. I double it, squeeze the loop a bit and push it down the tube. I don't think the soft copper wire will do anything to the tube.

I have always used a bobbin threader, didnt realize it could damage the bobbin...where can these dental floss threaders be purchased? I dont suck :D

I use these plastic dental things, they're blue with a loop at one end. They're cheap, about a buck and a half for a couple of dozen. If you lose one you've lost a couple of cents. They're soft, they won't scratch anything.

I use them also. Mine came in a pack with plenty in it.

Kevin

I have Marc Petitjean thread through bobbins B)

Long story...

I used to suck. Then I inherited a homemade threader that is made of an antler tip and a short loop of mono - but the two bobbins I had (metal tubes) were too long for the threader to reach through. So I bough a metal bobbin threader, and like it, but am worried about scratching the tubes.

Now I own ceramic-tipped bobbins that the mono threader will reach through, and so no more risk of scratching. But still I wonder if it is actually saving time.......

Long story short, I voted bobbin threader.....

p1130353n.jpg