Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mahaney

Nets

Does anyone have a preference on which net to buy? I'll be using it for stream fishing, mostly small browns and rainbows, so I was looking at a 20" model. Orvis has some nice looking nets so I was thinking about going with one from them and maybe their magnetic holder.

Any thoughts??

-Jim

If I am going to C&R a fish, I won't use a net. I will either use a Ketchem and not touch the fish, or pick it up with a wet hand. I don't want to damage the slime coating on the fish, and nets will cause considerable damage to the slime.

They have nets now that are called C&R nets and those are the ones you should be looking at. They are designed to cradle the fish in a soft mesh and tend to minimize damage.

If you're going to take the fish, just bash it on the head with a rock. j_k.gif cool.gif

The soft mesh C&R ones are the best and you can get them from cabelas alot cheaper than most shops sell them for.

Also the magnetic holder are great!

SD

a note on the magnetic net holders, most are decent, but the mayfly company ones are the most stylish (if that matters to you at all), and also the strongest magnet. I also like the mesh nets, and am going to invest in a nice carbon fibre frame net when i get the chance.

steve

Carbon fiber net?? you serious steve i didnt know they made nets out'a carbon fiber man that would be a very light net but its got to be a bit pricey unsure.gif carbon fiber isnt cheap.

SD

yeah, S2 products make the "zephyr" line of nets that are carbon composite, personally i like this one:

user posted image

that being said, i saw another line of carbon composite nets that I actually liked more, but I totally forget the name of the company that was making them. Maybe I should just make my own.

steve

i've seen em anywhere between60-100 bucks, there are several models of them, as to shape and whatnot, they have a teardrop shape, the more rectangular shape, and that one, which is sorta in between.

If i remember correctly, the other brands nets were around 65 bucks also.

steve

The Ketchem release works very well for releasing fish. I use them for trout and in saltwater. Especially useful for toothy critters like shark, barracuda, bluefish and mackeral. cool.gif

I have always been under the belief that when a soft net is used, and allowed to be wetted (just like the hand), it will not remove the protective slime on a trout. I would sugest buying one with the smallest mesh possible to avoid snagging the gills of the fish. Proper netting of trout may also prevent other potential traumas like getting wedged in between rocks, brush, beaching or over playing (especially when the water temps begin to push 65*F.) I often use my net with the fish and net still both in the water with the fish turned upstream. I slide my hand down the leader and remove the fly. When taken deep, I snip the tippet. I always go barbless!

Love 'em and Leave 'em

A.A biggrin.gif

I use a net that I got at Wal-Mart for about 7 bucks. It has a black aluminum frame with a small mesh woven material. I loop the stretch cord through the D-ring on the back of my vest and carry it in the zipper pocket where it is out of the way. I wet it before I land a fish and then rinse it and shake it off before putting it back in my vest. Also, like appalachian angler, I mash the barbs on all my hooks. It's easier to remove from the fish and from me if necessary. The other nets to me look great but I'm cheap and the Wally World net serves the same purpose. I put the extra bucks for gas in the van to go fishing. headbang.gif

I don't mess around when it comes to a Steelhead net.

I see so many fishermen on the stream with small trout nets and I have even had a bad experience with a guy trying to help me out with a big 10+ steelhead that I was trying to land.

This is my set up

OSD.

user posted image

Sign in to follow this