Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

Griffin Mongoose

Ok so I know there are only about a million vice topics--but I would like to know what you guys think about the Griffin Odessy. Thanks,

Jan

I've had the opprotunity to tie on a Griffin vise once before. I myself am aquainted with the traditional style of vise so I couldn't get used to all the appendages of the vise. That's only me.

From an engineering standpoint, both the Montana Mongoose and the Blackfoot Mongoose are top notch. I took a Tiemco 300 6x long streamer hook and bent it in two different directions. So you'll have no problem holding a hook, which is what a vise is made for.

The vise gives you a lot of options and even comes in a nice foamed case! I'd use it.

Sweet! Thanks for the feedback. Might be getting one in the semi-near future.

That'd be cool, Jan. I have my heart set on a Renzetti. Don't know why...I've never used one.

Mike

Once again, I'm not a huge fan of all the bells and whistle that Griffin incorporates into their vises, but that's just one man's opinion. My statement stand on saying that it's a solid vise that will serve you for the years to come.

Once again, I'm not a huge fan of all the bells and whistle that Griffin incorporates into their vises, but that's just one man's opinion. My statement stand on saying that it's a solid vise that will serve you for the years to come.

i have tyed on the griffin odyssey spider for the last 7 months.Probably tied close to a thousand flies,with not one problem.holds hooks rock solid,rotary,,,though i don't use it much but i do use it,,on my smaller midges.I love it,,,best vice i have ever owned...I have tied size#6 all the down to #32...and it is great for all in between....plus u got the lifetime warranty n...how could u go wrong.

Odessy spider is a good vise. the odessy how ever has good jaws but the manufacturing is horrible. it will not stay adjusted. FYI If you are ever interested in an hmh let me know.

I've had the opprotunity to tie on a Griffin vise once before. I myself am aquainted with the traditional style of vise so I couldn't get used to all the appendages of the vise. That's only me.

From an engineering standpoint, both the Montana Mongoose and the Blackfoot Mongoose are top notch. I took a Tiemco 300 6x long streamer hook and bent it in two different directions. So you'll have no problem holding a hook, which is what a vise is made for.

The vise gives you a lot of options and even comes in a nice foamed case! I'd use it.

On my case, that Griffin sticker has been replaced with a Dyna-King sticker and today it's used for other vises. The case was the only thing I was happy with regarding that vise.

A guy (who most of you probably know) use to say: "One man's dream is another man's nightmare." The Mongoose showed me what that meant. While I hear people who love their ones... I just saw my own as an ergonomical disaster with a long list of design flaws.

You never know if a vise is a good vise until you've tried it. It might be a stainless definition of the word 'quality'... but if it doesn't suit yourself, then it's not a GOOD vise.

I have used a griffin odyssy for the last couple of years.I have never had a problem or a complaint.It handles everything i need,from buggers and streamers to small nymphs and dries for brook trout.

Your exactly right Runarrson, I have a mongoose and absolutly love it, still prefer to tie with it over the norvise. You are correct though 100% to each his own..... to each his own, but then again I stripped down my mongoose to just the bare essentials, no material holder, got in my way one to many times, and the bobbin rest is good but its a pain in the a$$, now all I got is a waste basket attachment on it. Do you guys know if the dyna king extension will work on this vise.......

Kevin