Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NoVaTyer

Barr's Slump Buster

I am tying to learn how to tie Barr's Slump Buster and am having alot of trouble with the head. Either the diameter of my cone is too small or I am doing somehting else wrong when wrapping the head. It seems like I am getting too much bulk when making the 2-3 final wraps. The leather does not sit right and tying off does not produce the desired final appearance. Any tips for wrapping and tying off squirrel strips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Victor

Well, whenever I tie a fly with a cone, I NEVER use a whip finish - I always do a few double half-hitches. Also, you said you're having trouble making a head? That's not really neccessary when you have a cone on the hook. As for the squirrel strip, make sure you have the hide side facing the ceiling when you tie it in and then make 3 wraps MAXIMUM then cinch it off and make your half-hitches.

When I get in the zone I can tie 10 of these things in 1 hour in the way I just described to you.

Well, whenever I tie a fly with a cone, I NEVER use a whip finish - I always do a few double half-hitches. Also, you said you're having trouble making a head? That's not really neccessary when you have a cone on the hook. As for the squirrel strip, make sure you have the hide side facing the ceiling when you tie it in and then make 3 wraps MAXIMUM then cinch it off and make your half-hitches.

When I get in the zone I can tie 10 of these things in 1 hour in the way I just described to you.

Thanks for the response.

When I said making the head, I meant wrapping the squirrel strip to form the area directly behind the cone. The hide seems to create too much bulk and does not tie off well.

I was not tying in with the hide side facing the ceiling. The recipie that I have shows to tie in with the free end extending over the cone and the hair angled to the rear. When I tie in that way, the hide does not seem to wrap well. This is my first attempt at using squirrel strips in this way.

Mkay... I think you're way of tying in the squirrel tail may be better but it's hard to change my ways <_<. To reduce bulk, cut the end of the squirrel strip where you're going to tie in at an angle so it's nice and pointy.

That's the best way I could descirbe it.

Here's a step by step . Are you using cross cut for the collar? You can also form a dubbing loop then insert the rabbit strip, close the loop and cut of hide then spinn it and tie in as you would a hackle http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry58835

Here's a step by step . Are you using cross cut for the collar? You can also form a dubbing loop then insert the rabbit strip, close the loop and cut of hide then spinn it and tie in as you would a hackle http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry58835

Id highly recommend using the loop. I prefer to use petitjean magic tool it makes life easier.

Id highly recommend using the loop. I prefer to use petitjean magic tool it makes life easier.

I do not think I am using cross cut for the collar. Am using the same material as the body. I have trouble getting the hide to lay correctly, too much bulk builds up making it difficult to finish the fly. I have a magic tool, will have to give that a try.

yep, if you have the prtjean tool that is sure way to go, its an extra step but you won't have the bulk, and you don't need many wraps for the collar, post us one when completed

yep, if you have the prtjean tool that is sure way to go, its an extra step but you won't have the bulk, and you don't need many wraps for the collar, post us one when completed

Thanks Bruce. I will practice a few then see if I can figure out how to post.

Victor

Perhaps the width of your squirrel strip is to larger. I dont know if there are different sizes for squirrel like there are for rabbit.

Just pitching ideas out there.

Perhaps the width of your squirrel strip is to larger. I dont know if there are different sizes for squirrel like there are for rabbit.

Just pitching ideas out there.

I have thought about that actually. I believe the width is supposed to be 3/32. Can one get smaller strips? If so, from where?

Here's another idea: don't tie the squirrel strip in for the skirt right behind the cone. Tie it in a few hook eye lenghts back and progressivley wrap your strip up towards behind the eye.

NoVaTyer - You've chosen a great streamer pattern for enticing the monsters. This is an easy pattern to tie and it's meat not an appetizer. First off, the fish won't care how the head is finished. I think you're worrying too much about making is pretty. It's not a pretty fly. With that said, you may as you alluded to, be using too small a cone. You may also not be leaving enough room behind the cone to make your wraps. Each wrap should only slightly overlap the previous. This keeps the leather from building and pushes the hair back a bit. Find the right amount of space to do this. Make three tight wraps right up to the cone and cinch the squirrel down tight so that the leather stretches and slips inside the cone. Then make a few wraps with the thread. Sometimes I will put some glue inside the cone before I slip the hair strip in to help hold it. If your strip won't slip into the cone, your cone is probably too small. This is a lunker of a pattern...go big.

Hope this helps.