Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rimfire

Chatauqua Lake Flyfishing

Anyone out there flyfish Chatauqua Lake? I am spending Labor Day Weekend up there and will take my flyrods. Lake holds smallmouth, largemouth, walleye, crappy, yellow perch. Expect to target the bass and take the others as bonuses, but if I find some larger panfish I will be happy.

I need some local knowledge if there is any out here.

I also am looking for some easy to tie patterns to try over the next 2 weeks. So far I am tying up some wooly buggers with and without beadheads in several colors and sizes 6 and 8. Will also get some streamer hooks in size 4. Also tying some Gurgle Pops in yellow and green with long white legs and marabou tails. So far I have size 6 2x long dry fly hooks for that.

Anyone know where to try a flyrod besides the general docks and weedlines?

Will be using a kayak and friend's boat depending on the day and time. Staying at We Wan Chu cottages.

Thanks.

Barry

It's tough to provide local knowledge without knowing where this body of water is located. If you provide more details on location (state, region), perhaps someone can help you.

Been there but never fished it, there are a lot of weeds, so I would tie in a weedless mono loop on your flies. Look into some of the other streams in the area, I have done some trout fishing in them... I can't help since I was driven to the them and wasn't paying attention.

I grew up less than 20 miles from there, but haven't fished it in over 20 years unfortunately. My Dad and I fished it a lot in the spring for Crappie, and it used to be famous for Muskellunge. I've seen some very nice smallmouths taken out of there, over 6 pounds. There should be lots of weedlines this time of year, and your major challenges will be idiots on jet skis and idiots towing skiers, and idiots on skis. According to my Dad, fishing pressure has been very light for the past several years.

I would think good all around patterns should do well like buggers, clouser-style lead eye bucktails, and take some surface flies too, both in bass and panfish sizes. We used to catch some nice bluegills and sunfish there.

Poppers, panfish flies, damsel flies, dragon flys, streamers (micky finn, gray ghost, etc.) Dahlberg divers. Make them weedless and you should do OK.