Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NoVaTyer

Hackle Question

I am sure this question has been asked before, but how do you keep the hackle from twisting when wrapping? I am working on some Rose River Specials (Wooly Bugger) and when wrapping the hackle over the chenille, it wants to twist and it is difficult to keep it from twisting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Victor

Victor, if you notice your hackle starting to twist as you are wrapping, unwrap it half turn and gently twist the stem in the opposite direction just a smidge. Won't take much. Sometimes this works. Don't do it too much, or your hackle will break. Other times simply unwrapping and moving your hackle placement just a hair works. If you are using hackle pliers, make sure your pliers are straight and in-line with your hackle (don't grip them cross ways). If the feather just refuses to wrap straight...trash it and get another feather. Good quality genetic hackle makes a huge difference as far as twist. Hope this helps.

Mike

I agree with Mike. I only use strung hackle feathers if I'm only going to be using the barbs for tails or legs on a copper john or something like that. Other than that, I like Metz grade 2. If you don't feel like spending 30 bucks on a rooster neck or saddle, Mets also sells sampler packs. You can find them at Cabelas.

I find it borderline impossible to keep strung hackle untwisted when wrapping it around the shank. However, if you have an inline rotary vise, I suggest you use that instead of hand over hand.

What hackle are you using and how are you tying it in? There are a couple of ways to wrap hackle on buggers. Tie it (wooly bugger hackle or strung) in by the tip, then whisp back barbules after each turn, or "double" the hackle (process where you carefully pull the barbules back so they lie on same side of rachis). This can alsobe accomplished by tying in at the tip, then hold hackle by butt end, gently stroke barbules so they are at 90 degrees. then while holding butt ends take the back side of sissors and run it down one side of feather. Hard to explain so if you have cable/broadband internet we can meet in virtual classroom and I can show you . PM if interested

Or don't worry about it and fish it <_<

Bruce

What hackle are you using and how are you tying it in? There are a couple of ways to wrap hackle on buggers. Tie it (wooly bugger hackle or strung) in by the tip, then whisp back barbules after each turn, or "double" the hackle (process where you carefully pull the barbules back so they lie on same side of rachis). This can alsobe accomplished by tying in at the tip, then hold hackle by butt end, gently stroke barbules so they are at 90 degrees. then while holding butt ends take the back side of sissors and run it down one side of feather. Hard to explain so if you have cable/broadband internet we can meet in virtual classroom and I can show you . PM if interested

Bruce

I somehow missed that we were talking about hackles on buggers. :unsure:

Anyway...Bruce is right, of course. On buggers, I preen the barbs downward and then fold them back-to-back (dull sides together), then tie the hackle in by the tip a few thread wraps ahead of the rear tie-in-point (allowing room for one wrap of body material behind the hackle). As I'm wrapping, I preen the barbs so that they slant back towards the hook bend. I wish I had broadband, Bruce. I'd like to see how you do that last technique with the scissors.

Mike

Bruce

Bruce,

I am using Whiting Silver grade hackle. I am tying in by the tip dull side up. I go about a half inch from the tip and preen the hackle to 90 degrees, and tie in the tip at the gap. After a couple of wraps, I slip the tip back to give me some room for the first wrap. Once the hackle is tied in, I wrap the chenille, then the hackle. It was working a bit better for me tonight, but still has a tendency to twist. I was preening back between wraps to keep the hackle from catching on itself if you know what I mean, that seemed to help.

I do have broadband and would not mind meeting in a virtual classroom. I do not have a web cam if that matters.

Still working on the Barr Slump Buster. THe magic tool was a bit better but the end result was not what I wanted to see. I will need to practice more.

Victor

One thing I might add to the good advice Mike and Bruce have given you is to make one wrap of chenile over your haclke trapping the hackle at the last segment. When doing this make sure your hackle is facing dull side to the rear of the hook.This will ensure your hackle will wind true and the chenile will protect the hackle where it is most vunerable. I have found that most new tyer's buggers fail after some time fishing because the hackle will break at the tie in point and unravel. This step reduces this occurance.

Fred

Hi Victor, What everyone has said, especially Bruce. Whitting dry fly hackle is great stuff, but for dry flies not buggers. That said the stems are very fine, which should keep the spinning easily controlled. Are you winding the hackle on like cranking a spinning reel, if so that is creating the twisting. Use a two handed wind, so you keep the hackle perpendicular to the hook shaft.

Maybe that will help. Cheers, Futzer.