Fly Tying

Hello out there.This is the old Marine from NC.Been away for a bit & just found my new password.Got some Softex but it doesnt come W/instructions.Got a bit of info from the awesome hair site.Been hearing horror stories about being hazardous etc.Can anyone out there enlighten me as to this.Also how do you apply?Or,any other hints I can use.

Tying for the salt which 80%streamers.Can use the help.Thanx,FD

You can google it and find info but basically its end result is similar to epoxy with having 2 parts. You can dip yourfly heads in it or apply with tooth pick. They say you don't need to put on a dryer but when I have used it I put on a drying wheel. Toxic? yeah don't drink it. I guess getting it on your fingers means it will penetrate into your skin and eventually settle into your bone marrow and will take time to be absorbed. As with any products that contain tolulene just be careful with it, It is a great product that I use in place of epoxy

its safer then napalm.

just don't smoke and use it. I usually give it a dunk head first, clear the eye out, wait 30 mins and give a second dunk, clear the eye and let hang head down to dry.

Good Day,

I LOVE softex, but use its commercial brand name which is Plasti-Dip. Half the price for the same stuff.

http://www.plastidip.com/

Some hardware stores carry it. Another advantage is that it comes in a variety of colors too! Also, you might want to pick up a can of Toluene/Toluol to thin your material if it starts to thicken up (available at most harware stores near the paint aisle). Use in a well ventilated area as the Toluene base is toxic, you may even want a small fan to blow the vapors away from you. Avoid getting on skin.

I apply mine using my bodkin for the most part. Dipping is fine, but then you have to clean out the eye of the hook. A rotating dryer is not neccessary, but can be helpful on heads to keep the material even. A rotating vise is a big help. If you don't have a dryer, just put on a thinner coat(s) of material to prevent sagging. It can also be used for nymphs that otherwise use Epoxy like Copper Johns or other epoxy backed nymphs, and a lot less hastle than epoxy! Furthermore, you can pre-fab other parts of flies too. I coat a wingburner, for example, to create the wingpads of nymphs like stoneflies, nice realistic effect. Once three coats are dry, peel off and color with a marker. Also, it can be used to make a fly stronger or more resilient. Take a wet fly with an abdomen of yarn, a light coat can help keep it from fraying and falling apart. It really is a great material to add to your tying arsenal, enjoy and be creative!

Steelie

If you are going to buy some Toluene, then get a tube of Household Goop, thin it with the toluene, and you have almost the same thing as Softex. Use just like Epoxy.

Cheers, Joelst

Softex and plasti dip are the same?? Good to know. I love the plasti-dip. I thin mine with Dave's Flexament thinner..... I have the commerical thinner from Performix (the one for plasti dip) but I don't like it as well as when I use flexament thinner. Instead of sticking, the stick on eyes become really slick and slide around when using the commerical thinner for whatever reason (since I add eyes when it's still tacky)... What I do is use a syringe to load one of those applicator bottles and then use an eye dropper to add thinner. Just thin it a little bit so you can squeeze it easily through the applicator tip. People say they can store it in the bottle for months but mine seems to thicken up/dry out in a couple days but just add some thinner and it's ready to go again and typically with the flies I"m using it for the bottle is empty quick anyways. Just watch out for the fumes.

People like soft body too as it's non-toxic and comparable.

Oh yeah, I love it for securing dumb-bell eyes too after I put the thread wraps on instead of using Cyano-acrylate based stuff. I think it adheres better and still has some slight flexibility.

JRG:I thought "soft body"is no longer made.If its still around who stocks it?Anybody know?

Really, I didn't know this..... I bought mine a few years ago, haven't used it yet. I'll look around and see if I can find some around here...

Softex and plasti dip are the same?? Good to know. I love the plasti-dip. I thin mine with Dave's Flexament thinner..... I have the commerical thinner from Performix (the one for plasti dip) but I don't like it as well as when I use flexament thinner. Instead of sticking, the stick on eyes become really slick and slide around when using the commerical thinner for whatever reason (since I add eyes when it's still tacky)... What I do is use a syringe to load one of those applicator bottles and then use an eye dropper to add thinner. Just thin it a little bit so you can squeeze it easily through the applicator tip. People say they can store it in the bottle for months but mine seems to thicken up/dry out in a couple days but just add some thinner and it's ready to go again and typically with the flies I"m using it for the bottle is empty quick anyways. Just watch out for the fumes.

People like soft body too as it's non-toxic and comparable.

Oh yeah, I love it for securing dumb-bell eyes too after I put the thread wraps on instead of using Cyano-acrylate based stuff. I think it adheres better and still has some slight flexibility.

Good Day,

I get around this by having three bottles of Plasti-Dip in three different thicknesses. thin, medium and thick. Using my rotary vise, I turn the fly on its side with the location pointing straight up. Place a small dollop of thick Plasti-Dip on the head of the fly, about the size of the eye or a little smaller. Using thicker Plasti-Dip and the eye is less likely to slip. Flip over and repeat. Let dry thoroughly. Coat head with 2-3 coats (let dry between applications) of thin Plasti-Dip keeping fly in similar position as earlier with one eye to the ceiling and other facing down. Likewise, you could super glue in place then coat with Plasti-Dip.

Steelie

I have softex but since getting plasti-dip and putting in a squeeze bottle, I rarely reach for the softex.

Seems to me that plasti-dip dries clearer than softex.

Has anyone made Devil's Sauce? Suppose to be red devil clear acrylic caulk thinned with touluene.

post-14269-1251854473_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steelie,

But I don't have the problem when I thin it with Flexament thinner....eyes stick just fine when I use it that way. Only problem is my local shop says they haven't been able to get flexament or the thinner for about 7 months now.

Also, Bob Marriots fly fishing still lists soft body by Angler's choice but they didn't reply to my email if they actually had it in stock and if it was actually discontinued or not. I know a lot of people said they liked the product so I'm just passing this along.

Thanks for the Plasti-Dip suggestion. I have been interested in trying Softex, but never wanted to drop the money on it.