Fly Tying
Arkansas Mike

Ray Bergman's Alexandra

The new issue of Fly Tyer has an article about Ray Bergman and his flies. I really love his flies and thought I'd give one a try.

This is his Alexandra pattern. As always...if you have time, I welcome and appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

alexandra.jpg

Mike

Dear Mike.

you made a very pleasent tie. very smoth and fine bodywork.

Regards C

Mike,

Nice job overall. You may wish to make sure that you don't get any wraps of the flat tinsel overlapped, smooth out the floss work on the tag, and the tail may be a bit long (this of course can be called personal preference). You may also be interested in knowning that the Alexandria and her several iterations are very old English patterns developed long before Ray Bergman was born. The version you tied looks very much like the circa 1860 version also known as Lady of the Lake.

You may wish to make sure that you don't get any wraps of the flat tinsel overlapped, smooth out the floss work on the tag, and the tail may be a bit long (this of course can be called personal preference). You may also be interested in knowning that the Alexandria and her several iterations are very old English patterns developed long before Ray Bergman was born. The version you tied looks very much like the circa 1860 version also known as Lady of the Lake.

Halcyon...I didn't know that about the Alexandra being an old English pattern. Thanks. And I really appreciate the suggestions.

Mike

Hey Mike -

I saw the article this week too, its a good one. Not sure if you have tied these before. Look at the step by step and how they tie the beard in and the feathers aren't that soft. Also in regards to the body and tail; for the tail make sure you are using a single strand of floss, tie it in first along the length of the hook and wrap down towards the barb with your thread and then let your thread bobbin hang and wrap the floss down the bend and back. Tie in the tail (a bit shorter) and make sure that material runs up the the length of the shank and then tie in the rib that should also have the waste end the length of the shank (let that hang or put in your material clip). advance your thread up towards the eye and tie down the tailing along the way. Tie in your flat tinsel and that wrap that down towards the barb and back up, don't let it overlap on the wraps. tie it off and then do your ribbing.

Tie a dozen and see how they look. Your current fly will catch fish perfectly, my comments are if you are tying for humans ;-)

Best,

Greg

Not sure if you have tied these before. Look at the step by step and how they tie the beard in and the feathers aren't that soft. Also in regards to the body and tail; for the tail make sure you are using a single strand of floss, tie it in first along the length of the hook and wrap down towards the barb with your thread and then let your thread bobbin hang and wrap the floss down the bend and back. Tie in the tail (a bit shorter) and make sure that material runs up the the length of the shank and then tie in the rib that should also have the waste end the length of the shank (let that hang or put in your material clip). advance your thread up towards the eye and tie down the tailing along the way. Tie in your flat tinsel and that wrap that down towards the barb and back up, don't let it overlap on the wraps. tie it off and then do your ribbing.

Tie a dozen and see how they look. Your current fly will catch fish perfectly, my comments are if you are tying for humans ;-)

Hey, Salty. Nope...never tied one before. There isn't a step-by-step for the Alexandra (though there is for the Bergman Fontinalis), just the recipe. I do see how they did the beard on that fly, though. I'll have to get some better quality claret hackle. As far as the floss and rest of the material running the length of the body...it may not look like it, but I tied them all in the length of the shank. Next time, I will wrap the tinsel back and up, and not just up the shank. And I've got to watch overlapping it! Like you said, I'm sure it'll catch fish, but I honestly want to tie flies that humans think are excellent. This one was my second, I'll go tie another dozen or two. Thanks a million for the comments and suggestions. :rolleyes:

Mike

I couldn't tell if you were running the tail material the length of the shank, but wanted to make sure you do. The down and back on the flat tinsel will do wonders. You can use an Indian neck for the beard, nothing fancy... I'll take look in my pile.

enjoy

Great looking fly mike.

I love the way the peacock sword feathers look. I think the colors on them are great. I just recently got 10 of them and been tying away lol all proto types lol

Chance

Thanks a lot, Chance.

I originally thought it was better than it actually is. Thanks to Macro-Photography

every little uneven bump in the floss, 1/1000 inch of overlapping tinsel, etc. shows up clear

and obvious. Thing is...my tying has improved since I've started photographing my

flies this way. Amazing what all my camera "sees" that I don't initially.

Does anyone know if the judges of tying contest, display quality salmon flies etc. use magnifiers of

any kind?

Mike

Hey, Salty. Nope...never tied one before. There isn't a step-by-step for the Alexandra (though there is for the Bergman Fontinalis), just the recipe. I do see how they did the beard on that fly, though. I'll have to get some better quality claret hackle. As far as the floss and rest of the material running the length of the body...it may not look like it, but I tied them all in the length of the shank. Next time, I will wrap the tinsel back and up, and not just up the shank. And I've got to watch overlapping it! Like you said, I'm sure it'll catch fish, but I honestly want to tie flies that humans think are excellent. This one was my second, I'll go tie another dozen or two. Thanks a million for the comments and suggestions. :rolleyes:

Mike

That is the key Mike. your flies are getting better and better by every post you make, i enjoy seeing you grow as a tyer.

C

Hey Mike - I was able to find the claret hackle and will drop a few feathers in the mail to you for Monday. Good to see the addiction taking hold.

best,

Greg

Hi

visit this site for the true dressing of the said fly.

I like your camera work too. Black background make you fly stand out v well.

red hackle is a new thing well 30 old new to the design and its called a bloody Alexandra.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/steps/alexandra/alexandra.htm

I hope this is of use.

That is the key Mike. your flies are getting better and better by every post you make, i enjoy seeing you grow as a tyer.

Thank you, Ms. Claudia. Much of the improvement is due to the help you, Salty, halcyon, Jeff, Rocky and others have consistently

offered. I'm forever grateful to you guys for taking the time.

Kevorkian...thanks for the kind words.

StreamerTyer, I'm flattered by your comments, Sir. Thank you. It means a lot.

And Nick, thanks for the link and info. That's helpful. I'll try tying it with the original dressing.

I sure like this Bergman variation, though, with the red throat, floss tag, and Peacock

sword tail (I do need to shorten it about half the length of the shank). I appreciate it.

Mike