Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Claret and Olive Flymph

Lovely flymph, Carl. What hook did you use? Looks like one of the old Mustad turned-up-eye (TUE) hooks. I love these hooks for soft hackle and flymphs.

Lovely flymph, Carl. What hook did you use? Looks like one of the old Mustad turned-up-eye (TUE) hooks. I love these hooks for soft hackle and flymphs.

This is one of Gaelic Supreme's Wet fly hooks. Purchased a few to try. They have a very nice flow to them and appear extremely strong. They do have a greenish hue to them.

Thanks Carl. I've had good luck with the Gaelic hooks in the past. I haven't tried these yet. They have a nicer bend to them than the Mustad version.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have found trout to really like this color combination...at least here in Pacific Northwest.

Very clean fly! I like the soft hackle job that you did on that also. Alot of tiers seem to overdo the soft hackle and make it to thick. Sparse is the key. The least amount of hackle the more action that you get out of it IMO.

Thanks again for the input. I'm a flympho...it's my favorite style of fly to tie and fish. I use this combination with the genetic hen hackle which suspends the fly a bit more than the game bird hackle to cast to sited fish. The tactic is similar to dry fly fishing in the sense that I site a fish feeding on or near the surface, cast a bit upstream, let the fly sink as much as it can then let it swing and lift on a tight line in front of the sited fish. (this is basically the Leisenring Lift) and is different than just swinging the fly, stepping, swinging etc.

Carl