Fly Tying
Taylor B. Hess

Salmon River, NY Info!?!?!? Please help!

Good Evening Everyone!

I was wondering if somebody could help me find some good sites packed with information on the Salmon River, NY.

My dad has been planning a trip with some friends, and has entrusted me to find some information for him.

Other than the DSR and SalmonCrazy website, what are some good sites?

Again, all the thanks to ya!

All help would be much obliged.

:D

Malinda's Fly Shop in Altmar, NY 315-298-2993

www.whitakers.com

Any specific questions you have?

Thanks vern-o.

Are you from the salmon Pulaski/ Altmar area?

If you are, just fill me in on how the season has been going. If not, it's okay. Any specific colors projected to be good this year? New patterns? My dad doesn't tie flies, so he has entrusted me with that aspect of the trip. Haha.

Thanks again!

The Anglers Net guys fish that water a lot too! Check them out at www.theanglersnet.com

Thanks oatka.

This is the exact reason I came to this site, always friendly people helping eachother out.

BTW. That site has some nice vids on it! Thanks, my father shall be pleased!

Thanks again!

I live about an hour away from it.......I highly reccomend stopping by Malinda's Shop when you are there (tell her VERN-O sent you) There really is no action yet, a few stray fish running, with a bunch of fish just entering the estuary. The river is due to increase to 750cfs this weekend, that may get things going a bit. You haven't missed anything!!

Flies:

egg patterns.....various colors (pink and blue)

Egg sucking leeches

wooly buggers

flash back stonefly nymphs (flash color copper, blue, green, red)

the cohos tend to take a liking to pink

I live about an hour away from it.......I highly reccomend stopping by Malinda's Shop when you are there (tell her VERN-O sent you) There really is no action yet, a few stray fish running, with a bunch of fish just entering the estuary. The river is due to increase to 750cfs this weekend, that may get things going a bit. You haven't missed anything!!

Flies:

egg patterns.....various colors (pink and blue)

Egg sucking leeches

wooly buggers

flash back stonefly nymphs (flash color copper, blue, green, red)

the cohos tend to take a liking to pink

Thanks man!

I appreciate the help! I'll try to post some pics when we get back. I'll be returning to you for more advice I'm sure.

Thanks again!

For Chinooks you would be hard pressed to find a fly any better then a Bright Green Comet.. Tied on a Number 4 or 6 hook.. look for pockets in riffles where fish are moving up thru.. they will be the most aggressive fish.. stay away from crowds if at all possible as those fish are spooked and you would hard pressed to get them to hit..another fly i like a great deal is a woolybugger tied in black and chartreuse.. those 2 flys are what i catch 90% of all my Salmon on.. If there is a specific question you have please by all means get in touch.. i have been fishing up there for over 30 years now...

Here are bunch of links.......good luck with the crowds...you might want to take a flap jacket and a few paintball grenades along.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?C...76.1282&e=0

http://www.jpweather.com/livecam.htm

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/twoontarios.html

http://www.nyfishtales.com/

http://www.paulsguideservice.com/

http://www.trophy-angler.com/

http://www.h2oline.com/365123.asp

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/busi...rom=search_city

Was up over labor day weekend and won't go back until the last week of October. A decent push came in on Saturday and the town was packed on Sunday due the word getting out. Stayed upstream looking for a skamania or Atlantic.....no luck but had a great time.

It should be a good year since there was plenty of rain over the summer......good colors...who knows......every year is different....have your bases covered...standards are orange, chartreuse, pink, red (another fav of cohos), black , brown, olive.....and combo's of each.

Good luck......reading the water and finding spots where the fish pause for a little bit is more important then the fly you choose.

Just fished the Salmon river on Thurs and Friday....it was crankin' for a few hours Thurs with some good runs, hookups nonstop...Friday it was dead. Hit or miss as its still early.

TMC 2457 hooks (6/8) and a big bag of glo balls from Micheals Craft store. Red/Orange was hot.

post-22946-1252977319_thumb.jpg

nice fish........craft store balls, they never work :hyst: --

I like around the holidays when they have the crystal pom-poms in cool colors........nothing easier than some thread, drop of glue.....run the ball on the hook.......done..........simplest salmon fly in the world

I'm pretty I will be missing Pulaski this year.......sniffles

rainbow.......DSR or up river???

Good Evening Everyone!

I was wondering if somebody could help me find some good sites packed with information on the Salmon River, NY.

My dad has been planning a trip with some friends, and has entrusted me to find some information for him.

Other than the DSR and SalmonCrazy website, what are some good sites?

Again, all the thanks to ya!

All help would be much obliged.

:D

Taylor, Verdolivas King comet is probably one of the best all around flies you can have in your box.

Hook-Tmc 7999 or similar #6,8

Tail-white fishair sparse

Body-bright copper Ht braid or similar

wing-lime green lure flash over lime or chartruse fishair over pearl k-flash

Head-flour. orange chennile wound through bead chain eyes to form an egg

This fly will catch every species of Great Lakes Salmonid including steelhead

Best of luck! Marc

Had a chance to fish the Salmon River this weekend. Was fishing the DSR (Douglaston Salmon Run) Got there very early with a buddy of mine. After establishing our spot at the particular hole we were fishing, I had some guy come over an stand just about in my pocket while I was casting. He was close enough for me to see the ear wax accumulating in his ear. It's a nice river and I will be going back again, but there is a lack of etiquette in some of the people fishing. This was displayed later in the day while my friend and I were fishing over at the Ballpark. Six guys chomping cigars, came splashing into the hole we were fishing. They started throwing flies in every direction possible. Again a couple were close enough for me to smell. The best part of the experience was watching one take a bath ( Not a nice thing to say I know) The other issue with the day was a group of kids who were snagging fish. Again it was fun watching as the kid hooked into a large Salmon and was dragged into the water. :devil: He will get zero sympathy from me. All in all I hooked into three and landed zero. The Salmon won the day, but I'll be Back.

rich

have to hate that.......sometimes, the idea of catching a fish just takes over and some folks turn into jerks.......I was with my father one year......upstream of the town bridge and fishing riffles.....we stayed tight to the bank.......NOBODY else around.......entire section was void of people......along came two yahoos........one yahoo went right next to me and made a cast.......he looked at me......I looked at him......he left......then his buddy comes into the same place.....so now I have a guy on my left shoulder and one guy 8 feet downstream standing in the RUN.......welp, my rod was 10.5 feet long........a cross of the arms.......and a near whack to the guys head......he didn't budge........what a tool......we just packed up and left.......I try my darndest when I am up there to get away from people.......it is the safest thing to do.....but, in the next month or so, it will be almost impossible........