Fly Tying
Taylor B. Hess

Salmon River, NY Info!?!?!? Please help!

I have some horror stories from up there and its not just the visiting yahoos. We tried to fish the schoolhouse pool for two days and these same two guides in drift boats just owned the holee for those two days. I realize that you are fishing running fish, but if I was paying a drift boat guide I would want to see more of the River.

Well you guys know the drill. On the water at 3 or 3:30 to stand until a half hour before sunrise, which at the end of Oct is about 7:10. We got to the parking area at the corner and as we were getting ready to walk down we saw the same two guides unloading their drift boats. Well we did a commando sprint through the woods, (fat guy guarding the rear, ok huffing and puffing). and get to the spot. The older guide who was quite cool beached an appropriate distance downstream from us, but when young buck guide arrive he was obviously pissed that we beat them to the spot. So he beaches the boat in front of my friend ( who is a skinny mild mannered schoo,l teacher) and practically throws the anchor at him. He didnt see Big Bob creeping out of the wood but when I suggested he try to throw something at me, he mumbled something about being local and in his spot. He kibutz with the old guide and then proceeded to anchor his boat at the head of the run, totally ruining the run for everyone

nice fish........craft store balls, they never work :hyst: --

I like around the holidays when they have the crystal pom-poms in cool colors........nothing easier than some thread, drop of glue.....run the ball on the hook.......done..........simplest salmon fly in the world

I'm pretty I will be missing Pulaski this year.......sniffles

rainbow.......DSR or up river???

2 -

This was in the DSR.

Yes I used the crystal pom-poms in xmas and spring colors - LOL...less than $10 for 400 of them.

BTW - I now even skip the thread, just slap some glue on the hook and jam it on. When the fish were there it just didn't matter!

Hoping to head back up for some steelheadin' later on.

Taylor if there is any way to go up now...DO IT>>> the River is on fire!! Last couple days have been hot..hot..hot!! This morning started catching Ho's and Big Nookie's with a smattering of nice Browns thrown in.. Caught 2 browns that i know where in the 10 pound range easy.. Next 3-4 weeks should be really good.. then the Steel start to come and that is what i live for!!

I have some horror stories from up there and its not just the visiting yahoos. We tried to fish the schoolhouse pool for two days and these same two guides in drift boats just owned the holee for those two days. I realize that you are fishing running fish, but if I was paying a drift boat guide I would want to see more of the River.

Well you guys know the drill. On the water at 3 or 3:30 to stand until a half hour before sunrise, which at the end of Oct is about 7:10. We got to the parking area at the corner and as we were getting ready to walk down we saw the same two guides unloading their drift boats. Well we did a commando sprint through the woods, (fat guy guarding the rear, ok huffing and puffing). and get to the spot. The older guide who was quite cool beached an appropriate distance downstream from us, but when young buck guide arrive he was obviously pissed that we beat them to the spot. So he beaches the boat in front of my friend ( who is a skinny mild mannered schoo,l teacher) and practically throws the anchor at him. He didnt see Big Bob creeping out of the wood but when I suggested he try to throw something at me, he mumbled something about being local and in his spot. He kibutz with the old guide and then proceeded to anchor his boat at the head of the run, totally ruining the run for everyone

FAT GUY RUNNING !!! hahaha

I love it when the GUIDE lines, snags, lifts a fish for his client to reel in.......I had a guy once walk right in front of me and jump up on a tree stump......I go, whoaa buddy, what the hell ya doing......he said, I am a local and catch more fish here than you ever will-- I go...ahhh OK BUDDY......he proceeded to cast and RIP......no poop......what a dork....

I was on the black river once near the dam......saw a guy who lived right there working fish all morning...him and his 3 goonies........they must have caught and killed over 25 salmon........it was like a gauntlet..........they would string up a few...then drag them to the house--REPEAT........this dude even had the balls to ask if he could have our fish......I told him to get lost and released the fish........some people just flat out abuse the resource

PS...I have a friend on the river NOW......he said a big push came through DSR........he has been up there since Sunday and has done pretty good.......he keeps moving around......said the Fly Zones have fish.......he caught a bunch of browns and lost one that was over 10 pounds........he has been catching a mix bag of fish......darn do I wish I was up there.......

FAT GUY RUNNING !!! hahaha

I love it when the GUIDE lines, snags, lifts a fish for his client to reel in.......I had a guy once walk right in front of me and jump up on a tree stump......I go, whoaa buddy, what the hell ya doing......he said, I am a local and catch more fish here than you ever will-- I go...ahhh OK BUDDY......he proceeded to cast and RIP......no poop......what a dork....

I was on the black river once near the dam......saw a guy who lived right there working fish all morning...him and his 3 goonies........they must have caught and killed over 25 salmon........it was like a gauntlet..........they would string up a few...then drag them to the house--REPEAT........this dude even had the balls to ask if he could have our fish......I told him to get lost and released the fish........some people just flat out abuse the resource

PS...I have a friend on the river NOW......he said a big push came through DSR........he has been up there since Sunday and has done pretty good.......he keeps moving around......said the Fly Zones have fish.......he caught a bunch of browns and lost one that was over 10 pounds........he has been catching a mix bag of fish......darn do I wish I was up there.......

Ya cant go up there expecting "A river runs through it" solitude LOL....I actually find the whole circus kinda amusing and have met some great (and crazy) people while at it.

I also never had any dsire to eat any of the Salmon from there! - LOCALS!...lol