Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jconns

Orange Bomber

Do you tie the hackle in at the bend or at the eye end of the hook?

You can tie them in from the eye, but i tie the hackle in from the bend.

That looks like a really good tie there...Better than mine have come out.

Would some-one please explain how this fly is supposed to be fished? Float/dry, fast strip, slow strip, twitching strip??? I just don't understand how this one should be presented but am wanting to try it.

Fish it dead drifted like a nymph, or tie it with a flat bottom so you can skate it on a 45 downstream like a wet.

Whatever you do, keep it dry and on top of the water.

Fish it dead drifted like a nymph, or tie it with a flat bottom so you can skate it on a 45 downstream like a wet.

The 3 tagable ones i took this year were all caught on a soaking wet bomber underneath the surface :dunno:

Depends on the day i guess

The 3 tagable ones i took this year were all caught on a soaking wet bomber underneath the surface :dunno:

Depends on the day i guess

See, does it even really matter? Those fish are weird man.

A very nice looking bomber . Do you follow the hackle wraps down the shank with the thread ? ............Frank

A very nice looking bomber . Do you follow the hackle wraps down the shank with the thread ? ............Frank

No, I don't. After tying in the hackle, i'll bring the thread back up to the head and then wrap the hackle, then tie it off.

No, I don't. After tying in the hackle, i'll bring the thread back up to the head and then wrap the hackle, then tie it off.

I used to do it like that too but found after a strike or two it would break the stem (i know there's a proper word for that but i cant remember it) and the hackle would let go and the fly would be toast. I started tying the hackle in at the eye, wrapping it back to the bend and following it back with the thread and then wrap to the eye again in a zig zag motion. That ensures that no matter where the hackle breaks, if it does, that it will stay put.

I've heard rumblings around here that people don't like to tie these little beauty's lol, i can't figure out why. :dunno:

Nice job