Fly Tying
TitanFlies

Hackle Color Pole

Hackle Colors  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi TitanFlies,

At first I couldn't imagine what a hackle pole was. I envisioned a 6x long shank hook with a little of every color hackled on it as sort of a reference to keep on my tying bench. I thought, well, fly tyers ARE an odd bunch of folks ... ;) After all, the repaired nutcracker ornament that missed getting packed away last Christmas did hang on my bench until we recently put up the tree this year. That and several flies in various states of reverse engineering along with reference cards for bead to hook size and fish ID and my GO NAVY! decal also adorn my desk. So having a hackle pole isn't so odd - and actually might a good addition! Hmmm, now you got me thinking.

Anyhow, my favorite is brown with a dark grizzly hen a close second. The latter make some killer upright wings for a local mayfly pattern.

Tim

Moscow, Idaho

I like my hackle as close in color to the wing of the natural insect as possible. That spells dun for me. But more often than rooster it spells CDC :)

Love em all!!!!!! although my checkbook doesn't!!!!!!! I'm not brand reliant either, and I won't even get into that debate, I have some sweet stuff from many including Conranch, Collins, Metz, keough and whiting and some I dont' even know the brand name of but it's a Dun color and is sweet to tie with got it in the bargain bin at my local shop.

Fatman

I've seen some barred ginger necks that are Oh-So-Pretty....

no doubt! i'd love to have a dark barred ginger!

for now- Dun, Grizzly, Ginger, Light ginger...

B) ,

Clarkii.