Fly Tying
Esutton

Best Book for showing actual insect with recommended fly

hi george

try (matching the hatch);stillwater,river and stream by pat o'riley

great book, its has loads of different pictures of the actual insects information and patterns to go with and like you said theres plenty of mayfly/dun patterns sedges,nymphs, you name it! but one thing i will point out is i think its better to look at an insect and think how best to immitate it with what materials if you havnt already started tying and dont know about materials then this will come with time, but the book is good either way beginner to pro

tight lines

Or the latest book I wrote called "The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide" You can find it on my Website

Rick Passek

Rick,

The reviews looked good enough to me, so I bought both. thanks for mentioning them!

Ray

hi george

try (matching the hatch);stillwater,river and stream by pat o'riley

great book, its has loads of different pictures of the actual insects information and patterns to go with and like you said theres plenty of mayfly/dun patterns sedges,nymphs, you name it! but one thing i will point out is i think its better to look at an insect and think how best to immitate it with what materials if you havnt already started tying and dont know about materials then this will come with time, but the book is good either way beginner to pro

tight lines

Thanks to everyone for the recommedations. Much appreciated!

1 more vote for the "Hatch guide for..." I like how the lake and river were different books, i found it helped me distinguish lake bugs from river bugs, i just wish there was more room on the shoulders for my own notes.

Okay, so Hatch Guide for New Englands Streams is extremely helpful and probably what you are looking for. One more to consider is The Complete Guide To Eastern Hatches by Tom Fuller. Fullers book has pictures by Thomas Ames, Jr. who gets the best pics of insects that I have seen. The nice thing about this book is it lists the flies to use and gives you the recipes in the back. Now if you don't want to tie them, just search the names out on the computer to get the picture or the place to buy them........

Another recommendation for Eastern Hatches, excellent work. The good old "Book of Trout Flies" by Preston Jennings is quite a great read as well, along with Art Flick's Streamside Guide. Both have color pics *photos in Flick's book* and both are part of fly fishing history.

edited for clarity!