Fly Tying
blakejd

What do you do with all that extra hackle?

I'm new so this may be obvious to others but well what do you do with it? If I pick up a half neck I can use probably less than half for the local patterns I usually use (16-24 mayflies, caddis and such). At the going price for a half neck I'm loosing out if I can't use it for something. Do you tie big flies variation for fun or what. One of the local flyshop guys jokingly said you'll have a lot of tail material. Guess he's right but there's no way to use that much on tails.

I'm new so this may be obvious to others but well what do you do with it? If I pick up a half neck I can use probably less than half for the local patterns I usually use (16-24 mayflies, caddis and such). At the going price for a half neck I'm loosing out if I can't use it for something. Do you tie big flies variation for fun or what. One of the local flyshop guys jokingly said you'll have a lot of tail material. Guess he's right but there's no way to use that much on tails.

blackjd , my tying base is pretty broad as I tie everything from classics to bluegill flies and both fresh and salt. I 'll use every feather I have in here one day I'm sure of it. If I can stop adding to my materials. I even save the stems of hackles I've used, to clean the flies eye of head cement . I 've stripped oversized hackle for quill boddies or used smaller stripped quills for antenae or tails. Not all the feathers on a neck or sadle can be used for their intended purpose but all can be used for something. I know buying online you are at the mercy of who ever stocks your orders , but if you are able to visit a fly shop you can hand pick your necks and get the best value .Hope this helps , at least a little.

Fred

hi,

if you're only going to tie small flies it might be of interest to just get packs of selected hackles in the size range you need.

several suppliers including the big houses, Whiting and Metz offer this option.

that way, instead of investing in half-capes you could get several packs in different sizes and colors for the same amount of cash.

cheers,

marc

They also make midge saddle necks. That would probably be the best as most of the saddles will tie 18 and smaller. There should be a few larger for 16's. Midge saddles This is a link to midge saddles. I'm buy these for BWO's

Jeremy

I will second the comments about "Midge Saddles." Whiting saddles are excellent dry fly hackles. They offer a smaller overall range of sizes, usually three to 4 sizes. Whiting sells full, half, quarter, and 100 packs. The 100 packs are sized, and the size is printed on the package. If you tie a LOT with certian color hackle, then it is most economical to purchase the whole saddle or at least the half neck. If you have to purchase over the phone, or online, specify what size range you want the saddle to contain. You will find the length of these saddle feathers will let you tie at least three flies from each feather, sometimes more.

I have many Whiting saddles, and many Metz saddles; the Metz saddles have larger hackles, usually size 16 and up. I like the Metz fine for tying larger dries, like stimulaters, and humpies. About the only time I need to use neck hackle is when I am tying size 22 and smaller.

I fish for a wide range of species.....when I buy capes, the bigger fluffy feathers underneath make for excellent body/tail portions to half and halfs or deceivers for smallmouth.....i also attach them as tails to divers and poppers....nothing ever is wasted....good luck

In the many years I have been tying I have bought several dozen cock necks. I have completely used all of two of them- my first dun and my first brown, both Metz. When I first started I was tying mostly small trout flies- so many of my capes were quickly depleted of the #12- #18 feathers. If I had continued tying the same flies, I would have been much better off with a stock of saddles (which I now use for most of my small-fly work.) You can get saddles containing a tight range of sizes (10-14)(12-16)(14-18) and now, with Whiting's midge saddles, (18-24.) And if you must order your skins online do tell the supplier what range you require. I have found most of them are happy to help find the right saddle for your needs.

Fortunately, I started fishing streamers and discovered a use for all those larger feathers. The Grey Ghost alone finished off my first Metz dun cape. Hang on to your half-used caped- there are many uses for them.

Thanks for the pointers. Next time I buy hackle I'll be sure to contact the online dealer and get their assistance. It seems like this is a better way to get the selection and size I need vs using my local fly shop which has limited selection.

One suggestion for all the big feathers. Make the tails wing cases and legs of Barr's Emergers from them. Doesn't matter how big they are, they are all trimmed to size after they are tied in. The fly is a great pattern for Colorado and most other western rivers and streams.

It seems like this is a better way to get the selection and size I need vs using my local fly shop which has limited selection.

under your avatar it says you live in colorado springs, co. there should be some excellent fly shops in the area to support all of your tying needs. have you tried the anglers covey?

there is no way i would buy hackles online. you cant take them out of the package and inspect them like you can when at a fly shop.

If I pick up a half neck I can use probably less than half for the local patterns I usually use (16-24 mayflies, caddis and such). At the going price for a half neck I'm loosing out if I can't use it for something.

why buy a half neck? try whiting 100 packs in the sizes you actually need. your local fly shop should have them in stock.

As mentioned you can always strip the barbs off and use as body material but here's some wings you can make out of the bigger feathers and still use them.

How to Make the Origami Wing http://www.flytying.dk/origami_wing.htm

The Wally Wing Method http://www.telusplanet.net/public/whlutz/wallywing.html

Learning these you'll mess up a few feathers but it's something else to add to your arsenal of flies, and you won't think your wasting anything.

You could also check out Conranch Hackle http://www.conranch.com Denny is offereing JV Rooster skins again and they tie alot of the small size's and you get the whole skin. You'd have to contact him for what colors he has available.

Fatman

Hi blakejd,

The larger hackle can really come in handy. Case in point: We know several people who fish Henry's Lake in Idaho using smaller flies. That said we have several customers who order multiple dozens of #4 & #6 Royal Wulffs to fish the "lake." Also we send a bunch of the larger Royal Wulffs & Humpies #2 & #4) to South America, New Zealand and Australia. What are they doing with them down there if not fishing them? We don't know but several of our customers are guides in that part of the world and they order bunches. Our point: Don't be afraid to try something different. When Al was guiding in Montana his start-the-day rig for clients was a #8 Royal Wulff with a #14 dropper and a #6 Trude (varied colors) with a smaller dropper under it. I wasn't too uncommon to catch fish on the indicator fly as often as on the dropper, especially early in the morning when it was still fairly cool. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com