Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Carlin

FTOTY Bamboo Rod

On the durability of cane rods I think that they are better than graphite. I have made several Dickerson 7613s, like yours. But one of mine is a three-piece for backpacking. Last year I fell backwards, in the snow angle position, and dinged the tip section on a rod, about 18" down from the tip. I took a pretty good chunk out of it yet finished out the day on big fish. The chunk would have shattered a graphite rod. At first I thought I would simply make a new tip. Indeed, I did but I have never used it. Rather, I wanted to see how long the damaged tip would hold up. I wrapped the damaged area with silk, finished it, and fished it. I've had it out many times since, sometimes on big fish and it has held up just fine. (All of my rods have two tips, so even if it breaks, my fishing day is not over, as it would be with graphite.)

Bill

Hi Bill,

You bring up another great point, and that is most damaged cane rods can be repaired - though some take more work than others wink.gif. Not so with graphite or glass. Sure, you can get a new section made (I've had 2 new mid sections sent to me for my Scott 3wt - the king was probably too much for it...), but so too with cane if the damage is that severe.

I was talking with a friend a couple weeks ago about how most cane rods will come with a spare tip. He thought this was because a bamboo rod is more fragile and more likely to break, so makers include an extra tip for just such a circumstance. His evidence was the large number of rods seen on eBay with short, or broken, tips. You know, "tip down one inch" or "one tip shorter than the other". My retort was simply: "And how old are these still-functional rods?".

Oh, and welcome to the forum Bill! I'm still amazed by the number of bamboo rod makers around...

Another quick update:

I inked the rod this past weekend, and after letting it dry for a couple days (while I fished and vacationed!) I wiped on another thin coat of finish. I'm going to add one more hand-rubbed coat to cover the ink and give the rod a nice shine and it will finally be time to do the actual guide wrapping.

I have also decided to pin the ferrules for a more secure fit, so that information along with some more pics, will be forthcoming.

Well, the ferrule pinning isn't going to happen. I broke my last pinning bit on a different rod, so we'll just stick with the PowerBond on the ferrules.

I was able to finish the wraps this afternoon. Here are some pictures before the finish is applied. The yellow/gold color will then darken into the brown color that was selected via the polls. The yellow looks pretty good, but is a bit flashy for my taste, but it will look fantastic once the wraps have been coated, which should happen tomorrow.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Carl,

The rod looks beautiful. It is its own piece of art. You should be really proud.

I know I will when I start fishing with it. j_k.gif

laugh.gif lol.gif lol.gif laugh.gif

Carl,

I think that it would be safe to say that WE made one sweet rod colours wise. That is a great looking rod for sure.

Art

That's one sweet looking fly rod, and it will make any fisherman thats wins it proud.

Like I said before Chris "Your a true craftsman" thumbsup.gif

OSD.

thumbup.gif Thanks everybody! I appreciate it.

Here are some shots of the final color of the wraps. Notice how much they have darkened, but I think the match with the reel seat, cane and guides is quite good! You guys did a great job of choosing the options. headbang.gif clapping.gif

user posted image

user posted image

A few updates on the materials/procedures that I used for some of the cosmetics:

To ink the blank, I used some Staedtler pigment liner sketch pens. I find the 0.3 looks the best. I have also used Micron drafting pens, but the Staedtler gives a darker line in a single pass so I prefer them.

The wraps were done with Pearsall's Gossimer in Antique Gold with Java Brown tipping (I know the poll asked for black, but I thought it just looked too black, and the java is quite dark and matches the reel seat perfectly - so sue me tongue.gif ).

The first coat on the wraps is a mixture of FlexCoat and acetone. I combined 1cc of each of the 2 parts of the flex coat, and thoroughly (eh, Will? wink.gif ) mixed that with 2cc of acetone. This gave a mixture that was the consistency of water.

I used fine tip artist brushes to spread the mixture on the wraps. You have to be careful to start at the tip of the guide feet, and work the finish backwards toward the snake eye so that you can work out the small bubbles that can get trapped under the guide feet. After that you simply brush on the FC mixture to completely saturate the threads. After I finish a section, I'll go back and wipe off the excess FC from the wraps with my finger tip, then onto the rod turner it goes!

The reason I use FlexCoat/acetone over more traditional methods such as spar varnish or walnut oil is twofold. One, the FlexCoat makes a very, very strong bond between the wraps, guide and blank. I'd hate to hear of a guide coming loose, and that is not likely to happen with FC. The second is that it is easier. The FC mixture takes only one coat and dries overnight. Traditional it is not, but tough and attractive it is!

After the FC dries, I'll start adding coats of finish to the wraps to give them their final smoothing out and shine.

thats one helluva hot rod right there! whoever the lucky winner is, they would be proud to weild that thing in battle.

steve

Chris,

The rod turned out beautiful. Master workmanship. This might be an inappropriate question, but how much does a rod like that retail for? If you don't feel comfortable sharing that publically I understand.

Tony

thumbsup.gif Thanks guys! Some lucky tyer is going to be a happy fisherperson.

how much does a rod like that retail for?

dunno.gif Not really sure as I haven't really built any for sale, but that length 2/1 cane rods from most makers will usually sell from around $500 and up, with $750 as probably a good average.

Steve - How's TX treating you?

Sign in to follow this