Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Carlin

FTOTY Bamboo Rod

WOW, is right.. Carl your master craftsman and an over exceptional artist.. cheers.gif Great job..

Thanks to you all for helping me put together this fantastic rod!!

Unfortunately, this particular journey is about over. For the past two days I have been applying coats of finish to the wraps. For this I use Minwax quick dry poly. I'll often use Sutherland-Welles marine spar varnish, but it gives a bit of an extra amber hue to the wraps, and I thought the color was so nice as it was, I didn't want to darken it any further. The poly doesn't darken the wraps, and provides a very tough coat that dries in a couple of hours.

After applying a coat and letting it dry I lightly sand any imperfections, and then recoat. I've applied 3 coats so far (not included the FlexCoat) and I'll probably end up doing one more. After that I'll spend a little time polishing things up a bit and the FTOTY rod will be finished.

You'll also notice that I wrapped the grip in plastic to protect the cork as I was applying finish (and for when I go out and lawn cast the rod tomorrow devil.gif ).

Here are some pics of the more-or-less finished product:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

You guys have really done a wonderful job of choosing the options. I wish each of you could check it out first-hand and cast her a bit. But, as it is, you'll just have to work on honing your tying skills and try and take her home for yourself.

I'm going to let the rod sock poll go through next week as I'll be out of town, but once I get back I'll shut down the poll and get it on the way.

That is one of the finest looking split bamboo rod I have ever seen Carl

I am sure anyone who is lucky enough to win this rod will have an heirloom for the future

OSD.

Beautiful rod Carl your going to make one tyer very happy clapping.gif I loved the poll method you used to build the rod it made us feel like we were a part of the process. Thanks again for all your hard work now I better start tying some flies.

Ken cool.gif

man, that is an absolutely hot lookin rod. absolutely fine craftsmanship and impeccable taste from our members.....

steve

Sign in to follow this