Fly Tying
bear-kodiak

Medallion Sheeting

Good Day,

Go to Hobby Lobby or Micheal's. Go to the gift wrap area. Pick up a roll of pearl mylar, or other color if you want. Then color with marker to what you want. Coat with clear nail polish, epoxy or Plasti-Dip. Waaay less expensive. But then again, please continue to support your local fly shop. :D

Steelie

I use it for wings and cases on Mayfly and some Caddis patterns. For tying wings, it takes some practice. Shane Stalcup's, Mayflies: "Top To Bottom" is the best reference book on the subject of it's use...as well it should be- since this innovative tier developed the product..

I have yet to run across another person, on the water, who has tied up any of Shane's patterns...they work...

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflies-Top-Bottom-...p/dp/1571882421

PT/TB :headbang:

I've always thought of medallion sheeting as a more durable version of swiss straw, so for most applications that call for the medallion, I'll use swiss straw instead- though I can think of a few patterns where I've used both.

Jim , in my opinion medalion sheeting is unique. And I do not believe there is a substitute in certain flies. It has almost a waxy finish that mimics wing cases on certian insects. There are other materials that will give you the same appearance for less money but not the same finished product. But it's up to you wether it's worth the extra coin.

Fred

If you want to see the difference between the two on a finished fly, here is one I tied a few years ago where I used swiss straw and medallion on both the legs and wingcases . I could have only used one, but didn't have the two colors I needed on hand in just one of the materials. I won't tell you where I used what

100_1581.jpg

Fred is correct once again. Medallion sheeting rocks.

Drop the coin, this is one case where it's worth it...and I'm usually very cheap...you'll probably never use turkey for another wingcase or pupal wings. Stalcup's emerger and nymph patterns and techniques are outstanding, however, the medallion in my experience is not good used on dry flies.

I like using it but it's annoying as it flaps around on the cast and although I don't use much it sure makes a ruckus somehow but it's pretty durable and it doesn't shred or nothing....

Medallion sheeting is a take off of a product called "zing wing" (page 12 of Shanes book) developed by John Betts quite a few years ago.