Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

anyone use scent?

JSzymczyk, although a few notables might have used bait on a fly rod back in the day, outside of these few it was not considered a "normal" part of the sport, particularly in the 1st half of the 20th century. In fact, no doubt many (if not most) would have considered it shady, the result of a seriously deficient upbringing, evidence of the lack of good breeding, and in any event, would have concluded the practitioner was manifesting a most disturbing and unacceptable character flaw. :)

Perhaps then, there was not quite as much personal distinction in the public at large between Fly Fishing and Fishing in general... Just off the top of my head I recall numerous instances in "Fishing With Ray Bergman" where he talks about using hardware and bait on a fly rod. I suppose there always has been a segment of fly-fishermen who consider themselves "purists"- but again my impression is the vast majority were and are Trout/Salmon centric.

Hell, I know it's true- A vivid memory of mine is going into New Brunswick when I lived in far northern Maine. I went to the local Game and Fish office to find out about licenses and to inquire about a piece of river which flowed out of Maine into NB- the Aroostook. In Maine, it was nothing too special at the time. There is a large dam right near the NB border on the Canadian side, and the river looked different from there down. The Officer told me it was FFO part of the year because there were some salmon which made it as far as the dam, but not many. Additionally, it was full of "TRASH FISH" and not many people bothered to fish it, but if I wanted to fish it and mess with junk fish, I was more than welcome to buy a license. Suckers, Carp this far north? Eels? Yeah, the TRASH FISH were Smallmouths up to 5 pounds, and in June-July there were evenings there when I caught over 40 between 12-23 inches. Trash Fish. Nothing to do with the scent topic, but decent illustration of attitudes.

If using scent makes someone happy, then fine with me.

I shun! I shun thee riffelriversteelheadslayer! Blasphemy! I do not use scent I use flavor on my carp flies. Its a mix of canola oil and tenderizer. Well I say that with a grain of MSG cause Id actually have to go carpin to use it.

I am with Old Hat, I really try to lose the scent. With nymphs I usually rub them with under water moss. My dries are not rubbed but tied as scentless as possible and usually the tippet gets a little pine tree needle rub over. That said, I have accidentally scented a few flies with spilled beer while floating. :rolleyes: I do liberally wash my hands with mud, and lots of fish slime in a dignified and acceptable release fashion.

Cheers, Futzer

10 years ago, I would have gotten all uppity and called you a bait fisherman, since then I have calmed down.

i was asking cause i was trying to think of a way to cover the clue and nail polish scent like some of you said. what do you guys use to do that. does rubbing them in dirt or moss really work? i was thinking of spraying some of my scent killer (that i usually use for bowhunting) on my flies...think that would work? figured this would be a pretty lively topic. i havent used scent on my flies but have used scented worms with my spinning gear.

once cement is dry/cured I do not think the scent is an issue. If it is Id think the scent from the dye in the other materails is a bigger issue

To each his own. Its still fly casting but for me I like to know my technique and fly caught the fish vs. some odor that caused an instinctual response. Then again now that I think about it isn't that what we're doing with flies anyhow.

bottom line as long as some one is obeying the law and is respectful I do not have a problem with anything any one wants to do. Why should I? Life is to short

I think it's a fair question to ask, and I think that as long as you're not looking to stay within IGFA standards or state laws, it's not a big deal. If you want to use scent, use scent. I know I'm already shunned, but some even on this board because my muskie flies use blades and a lot of "hardware" and they don't look like an 18 Adams. I still cast them with fly rods and fly line, and I'm happy with them, so it's not their business. Just like if someone wanted to spray something on a streamer or bugger for carp or bass. I say do what makes you happy because that's why we're out there in the first place.

And I know I was adamant about not using scent...but that's just flyfishing. I have no problem at all throwing a nasty worm on a hook and catching bluegill and rockbass at Mom and Dad's house and filling the cooler! I was speaking only in terms of flyfishing.

Personally I think your flies are THE $#!+!!!

bottom line as long as some one is obeying the law and is respectful I do not have a problem with anything any one wants to do. Why should I? Life is to short
There you go, Well said. :thumbup:

i was asking cause i was trying to think of a way to cover the clue and nail polish scent like some of you said. what do you guys use to do that. does rubbing them in dirt or moss really work? i was thinking of spraying some of my scent killer (that i usually use for bowhunting) on my flies...think that would work? figured this would be a pretty lively topic. i havent used scent on my flies but have used scented worms with my spinning gear.

As day 5 said I think cement is the least of the worrries and that "moth balls", human oils from your hands and just any odd scent that can be soaked up by the materials would be helpful to hide. I think just rubbing in dirt or moss works fine. A dry fly in dry dirt then blown off will still work fine. Then I also believe that finding the fish and presenting the fly correctly is 90% of the battle won. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Berkley Gulp craw scent, I use an old Rio line dressing dispenser and fill it with the Gulp craw juice. Started using it for my carp fishing but soon started applying it during my SMB and largemouth outtings. I find if there just mouthing your offerings, or short striking this can make a difference. It wont attract per say, but considering a bass can spit out your fly quicker than you can blink I'll keep dripp'n and dunk'n on the scent, It's hard enough detecting strikes sub surface with all that fly fline out :( .