Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Point me in the right direction

Hey that is a very cool looking stone steelie!!!

Fred

Good Day,

Thanks Fred! I know... but it really is easy to tie. Think a basic chenille body and rubber leg bead head stone, just simply exchanging the materials.

Steelie

if you can get with Brent (wickedcarpenter) he has this pre printed wing buds for stone flies that is really cool stuff I got some from him at the Midwest flyfishing show last year was on some special paper just a bit of marker for color and coat with sally hansens worked great but damned if I can remember the name of the paper

here is a couple I did with the paper a golden and a brown stone

post-10925-1254479144_thumb.jpg

the legs are broom bristles with porcupine quills to fatten them up then painted and sealed with sally hansens antenae is paint brush bristles and biots for the tail body is dubbed and abdomen is D rib

if you can get with Brent (wickedcarpenter) he has this pre printed wing buds for stone flies that is really cool stuff I got some from him at the Midwest flyfishing show last year was on some special paper just a bit of marker for color and coat with sally hansens worked great but damned if I can remember the name of the paper

here is a couple I did with the paper a golden and a brown stone

post-10925-1254479144_thumb.jpg

the legs are broom bristles with porcupine quills to fatten them up then painted and sealed with sally hansens antenae is paint brush bristles and biots for the tail body is dubbed and abdomen is D rib

Good Day,

There are a variety of "water proof" papers on the market. White and or clear (transparency). Just stop in at one of the big box office supply places, they should have it. Keep in mind, not cheap so plan accordingly to get the most out of your paper. You can easily get a whole mess of wing pads from one sheet if the images are close enough together, almost touching but not quite.

Steelie

great tip Steelie...still working on my stonefly...just can't seem to get it "just so" before adding updated pics...will have more time to work on it on Tuesday....may have a presentable version by then

James Matthews has a great site, and many great ideas (techniques) for tying fishable realistics !!!!!!! Google James Matthews Organza Gilling Technique for one idea !!!!! As to The "Villie Autie" Style of adding legs, watching Oliver Edwards "Essential Skills" where he is tying his Czech Nymph pattern will help you master this great technique !!!!!!! Graham Owen (and his site) has many great ideas on fishable realistics as well !!!!!! Feel free to contact him; he is willing to share many ideas !!!!!! I am hopeing on down the line of ( and am in the midst of doing this), creating my own web site that will be an interactive/educational forum on fly tying and fly fishing !!!!! It will include many ideas on fishable realistics along with many other styles !!!!!

Cheers & Tight Lines !!!

John Larson (Alpinefly)

John, thank you for the link to James Matthews site. I hope you also announce us your site when it is ready, I am sure it will be of great interest.

AndresT.

Alright, have some Razor foam on the way...have been really practicing building the body on this thing...will soon have a suitable fly to present...

Alright, have some Razor foam on the way...have been really practicing building the body on this thing...will soon have a suitable fly to present...

Looking forward to seeing it come together . While waiting on the foam , you may want to look into what color variations if any exist in the stoneflies where you live or from one stream to another. Close your eyes and picture in your mind what colors really stand out when you think of the stoneflies where you fish. What feature of this insect distinguishes it as a stonefly nymph . You'll want to concentrate on the features that make it instantly recognizable. Hobby stores are a good place to get markers for coloring your foam." Prismacolor" brand markers come in a wide variety of earth tones that may be helpful.

Fred

John, thank you for the link to James Matthews site. I hope you also announce us your site when it is ready, I am sure it will be of great interest.

AndresT.

Links to both James Matthews' sites (Finnesse Fly Tying ,and Grayling Hunter):

http://www.finnesseflytying.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.grayling.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/james9.htm

Cheers & Tight Lines !!!!

John (Alpinefly) B)

Will be attempting a Giant Stone (less common here, but do see a few every year) and a Golden Sally- Golden Stone....have a HUGE colllection of markers and paint pens. If I can get this thing to turn out half decent, I'm going to work on a few other "fishables"....you guys can't believe how much this has consumed me in recent weeks...

Will be attempting a Giant Stone (less common here, but do see a few every year) and a Golden Sally- Golden Stone....have a HUGE colllection of markers and paint pens. If I can get this thing to turn out half decent, I'm going to work on a few other "fishables"....you guys can't believe how much this has consumed me in recent weeks...

Ohhhhh I can believe it BigDaddy !!!!! Can't wait to see the results !!!!!!! :headbang:

AndresT.

Links to both James Matthews' sites (Finnesse Fly Tying ,and Grayling Hunter):

http://www.finnesseflytying.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.grayling.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/james9.htm

Cheers & Tight Lines !!!!

John (Alpinefly) B)

Thank you John! but it was easy to find them googling.

Andrés T.

Just an update on my progress...I finally received the razor foam and have, what I feel at least, is a great fishing realistic fly. HOWEVER, I am struggling with the legs. I have used a very fine Sili-leg for a couple of these things and it doesn't look half bad, but it certainly substracts from the flies overall "realistic" aesthetic, but they do look fish ready. I am currently experimenting with strands of floss spun and glued with 5X tippet. The proportions are dead on, but it's still a bit flexible and will not retain a bend. Wanting to achieve a bendable/moldable leg without the stiffness of a wire under frame..going to try a bit thicker adhesive and see ehat happens. Have also been practicing with pheasant tail fibers ala Edward's style for realistic legs. Legs have always been my Achilles' Heel, but the body and proportions have come together nicely. I think you guys may be impressed with my neophyte efforts. Will post a few pics this weekend after I find a battery for the camera.

I want to thank ALL of the great tyers who have offered thier assistance and provided me with some great information and link's to invaluable tips and ideas. A sincere and humble "thank you" to all! Stay tuned and be ready for my submission sometime in the next week or so!

Well, Here we go...a few pics of what I have copied ala "Lewis" fishing realistics....still having fits with getting legs right, but oh well....be nice. It's a WIP and one needs to remember that this is a FISHING realistic, not a showcase piece.....

post-20880-1257137838_thumb.jpg

post-20880-1257137941_thumb.jpg