Fly Tying
mahaney

Tibor Spring Creek

Looking for a good match for a Winston BIIx 4wt 8'6" rod. Leaning towards the Lamson Litespeed, but so some picts of the Tibor Spring Creek and thought it was a nice looking reel. I know Tibor makes some of the best salt water reels, but I haven't heard anything about the Spring Creek. Anyone used it?

Thanks,

-Jim

Yeah - I have one. It's been back to the factory to "adjust" a non-existent drag. I'm still not happy with it. Take a look at the Orvis Battenkill (bar stock) instead.

FWIW, I use the Litespeed 2 on my 5-wt. and love it... actually, all of my reels, with the exception of a Teton I just purchased, are either Litespeeds or ULA Force. Needless to say, I have a Waterworks sticker on my stripping basket! biggrin.gif

Yup, with my wife's birthday quickly approaching, I couldn't justify popping $275+ on a new reel. Besides, most of the fish I hook on this small rod will never be played on the reel, so what's the point of spending the extra cash? If I'm fortunate to get a shot at a real beast (relative to the majority of the fish) and have to go to the reel, I know that the drag won't let me down. The other Teton I've used is the 8LA, and it worked well in the Keys for jacks and 'cuda; this one will certainly handle the sunfish and trout I'll be chasing with it.