Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rich5665

Woolly Bugger Swap

jackjl - Your buggers have arrived. Very impressive, I like the color selection. Once I have all the buggers in I'll post a picture of the flies.

Horseshoes - Yours straws...err... I mean buggers have arrived. Again another set of awesom looking bugs. Thanks for contributing to my Canadian Coinage. I figure I have enough for a descent meal when I finally make my way back North.

Your welcome rich5665 . I put the buggers in the straws so they are easier to handle and travel. Do you have the olympic coins(Canadian) yet?

Your welcome rich5665 . I put the buggers in the straws so they are easier to handle and travel. Do you have the olympic coins(Canadian) yet?

Not yet, Coin and Stamp shops are disappearing quickly, so I have to buy online.

Okay the saltydog, here it is about the straws. You know when you make streamers or leeches with marabou etc. They can get pretty wild and flowing in our small spaces.

So....

1) get a straw that has a diameter that will fit over your fly and cut to the length of the fly. Take your scissors and cut up through the length of the straw.

post-15490-1257205537_thumb.jpg

2)Hold the fly by the curve and be careful of the barb. Put fly into tube head first and slide up so the barb is aligned with the slit in straw.

post-15490-1257205552_thumb.jpg

3) Push fly up straw till it is covered and protected.

post-15490-1257205564_thumb.jpg

4) When you wish to remove the fly, slide it head first or in the direction of the hook point and gently remove.

post-15490-1257205575_thumb.jpg

5) Now use your marker and write whatever on the straw in place of toe tags.

Works for me, especially when packing to travel. Not all flies will work with this. Make sure your straws are big enough for the fly to fit inside. Big eyes are a problem for example, but they are good for containing the fly with a life of their own. Try it out, great for storing.

Hey rich5665 if you're not into perfection I can try and find some in my change as time goes by. Or pm me if you want a new set from the post office.

Horseshoes...thanks for that... I have been looking for a way to pack them. They are just out of control and I use a small pack when I'm fishing. I'm going to try this out now!

Richard I might be late with the flies im having a little issue right now. Dam Foam.

Dam Foam or Damn Foam?

As in the Foam is not co-operating or theres Foam flowing over the Dam, I'm not worried Chris, don't rush we still have some time and I'm not a stickler on the date

Hey rich5665 if you're not into perfection I can try and find some in my change as time goes by. Or pm me if you want a new set from the post office.

That's fine, I'm not picky. Most of the coins I have are well circulated. I collect them because they are there not as an investment.

Timing is everything....... I thought it appropriate to post this Link in this swap.

Woolly-Bugger inventor Russ Blessing passes away

He probably never thought that his design would be one of the most fished and most successful flies in fly fishing.

Professori and Desert Trout your Buggers have arrived. Salty thank you for posting the link regarding Russ Blessing. I found it interesting that there are books like "Woolly Wisdom" actually dedicated to this fly pattern.