Fly Tying
Arkansas Mike

Regal Disaster

I bought my Regal Medallion about 5 years ago. Up until a year ago, it spent most of the time packed away in a storage box.

However, over the last year, I've used it basically every single day without a problem or complaint. Today I was tying a #8

wet fly, and while I was working to tie the wings on, the hook shot out from the jaws and flew across my tying room. Upon

inspection, I saw that the tip of one of the jaws was chipped and broken. I'm not embarrassed to say that I felt like

bawling like a little baby. :crying: I e-mailed Regal to see if it'll be covered under the limited lifetime warranty, however I

figure they'll say I had the hook inserted incorrectly. I never have before, but...

Mike

For what Regals cost I get really tired of hearing how they won't cover the jaws on their vises. I hear it from all the different boards from folks who have the same problem.

Fatman

I bought my Regal Medallion about 5 years ago. Up until a year ago, it spent most of the time packed away in a storage box.

However, over the last year, I've used it basically every single day without a problem or complaint. Today I was tying a #8

wet fly, and while I was working to tie the wings on, the hook shot out from the jaws and flew across my tying room. Upon

inspection, I saw that the tip of one of the jaws was chipped and broken. I'm not embarrassed to say that I felt like

bawling like a little baby. :crying: I e-mailed Regal to see if it'll be covered under the limited lifetime warranty, however I

figure they'll say I had the hook inserted incorrectly. I never have before, but...

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just remember that it's a poor carpenter that blames his tools. I've had a Regal for at least 6 to 8 years now. I've never spit a hook out and I have their midge jaws. If you spit a hook out, it's poor placement plain and simple. There's nothing on the market today that compare's to a Regal for the money that you'll spend for a quality vise for what you'll get out of it, period.

Regards,

Mark

Yeah Mike I know how you feel. It seems that just when you get used to a tool and are feeling really comfortable with it something happens. I had a cheap little rotary up until two months ago that I had for a year of perfect service that just pooped the bed and threw my tying into a tail spin. I have spent the last two months on a Sunrise AA.......Its laughable. I just ordered a Dyna-King Pro today. I researched around on all the vises, and think it will fit me. And Im sorry to sound negative, but thats a bunch of poop when a company can even say that about their vise, "you inserted the hook wrong and ruined the vise".. When I think of inserting the hook wrong, I think of being drunk and trying to put it in sideways, you know something ridiculous....... Anyhow, if you want I will send you my crappy vise to get you through as I have been really impressed with your progress with those wet flies.

Sorry to hear about your vise Mike.

The exact same thing happen to a good friend (which by the way is a fly shop owner). Only difference is that the jaws completely cracked. He was not a happy camper.

I don't know how they can be the best on the market if the jaws are not reliable. Not saying they are crappy vises... but every thing works better when they are working just the sage rods...

:whistle: (Manitoba Joke)

I feel for you Mike, but if Regal doesn't stand behind their product they're not worth dealing with a second time. I had a Thompson vise that had the jaws explode twice and Thompson sent me replacements, no questions asked.

Why the assumption that Regal won't replace the jaws? In my experience, they will replace them one time, no charge, but tell you to be more careful with hook placement in the future.

Chuck

Just remember that it's a poor carpenter that blames his tools. I've had a Regal for at least 6 to 8 years now. I've never spit a hook out and I have their midge jaws. If you spit a hook out, it's poor placement plain and simple. There's nothing on the market today that compare's to a Regal for the money that you'll spend for a quality vise for what you'll get out of it, period.

Regards,

Mark

I think that's a little harsh. Regals have a reputation for throwing hooks and cracking their jaws in the process far more than any other brand of vise I'm aware of. Just do a search on google. It has even happened to folks who were aware of this tendency and who tried to be mindful of their hook placements.

I having nothing against Regal but I believe there are quite a few alternatives "for the money," actually, that will hold the hook securely without this concern.

-- Mike

send it back and Regal will replace it. If you're worried, send it to me and Ill get it replaced. Mistakes happen.

Mike,

I've seen some jaw tip chips from Regal vise. The constant tension design is part of it. However, Regal is a reputable company, I would recommend to talk to them first.

Hope it'll work out for you.

In my opinion, An "improperly" inserted hook should never ever break vice jaws. I can see if the jaws were overtightened but just by placing the hook in the jaws incorrectly?? No way. Those hooks are thin wire and ya, they're strong, but those vice jaws are solid and a hook should not break regal style jaws. There was probably a manufacturing defect. They should replace your jaws right away free of charge in my opinion.

Just remember that it's a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

Hi, Mark. I wasn't blaming my vise. I've tied hundreds of flies using

this very vice, and have loved it...hence my disappointment.

Cussfly...DHise, thanks for the offers guys, but I'll see what Regal says.

I've been wanting to buy a new vise... I just may have to shell out

the $$$ sooner than I'd planned.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry if my post came across as harsh, but I've grown tired of posts that bash a good product when it's the user's fault. Just re-read what others wrote above in response. How many folks are going to read this thread and cross Regal right off the list as a vise they may want in the future since the jaws might chip. I've read many posts about the jaws spitting out hooks too over the years. They spit them out because the hook is too close to the tips of the jaws. I have yet to read one thread that states it spit a hook out while I was spinning hair, wrapping dubbing, or whip finishing off a fly. They include a drawing that shows what the proper placement of the hook is, and what's not the right way. If they didn't temper their jaws like a Sunrise vise, folks would complain about that. If the spring mechanism that makes the jaws hold the hook was too weak, they wouldn't still be in business either. It's one of the easiest vises to use for a huge range of hook sizes. You just have to insert the hook deep enough and that's it. I can't say that it will never happen to mine, but if it does, it's my fault for not paying close enough attention. Accidents happen, that's why their called accidents. It's just like blameing the fly rod that breaks when you slam the car door on it.

Regards,

Mark

Been tying on a Regal Medallion for almost 20 years. The first set of jaws chipped before what seems that I even got out of the fly shop & Regal replaced them for shipping costs. Recently, with a #1/0 bendback hook the half moon hook groove chipped & over a year ago a #32 chipped the tip when it was lost somewhere near the fly tying desk when it just flew out of the jaws. Going to be $40 for the new jaws shipped, which seems reasonable. Thought about the stainless steel jaws, but an extra $$$ wasn't worth it, but still may opt for a different set of jaws; even though most ties are larger #0/0 hooks now & really don't have much call for #24, 26, 28's or #32's which was about what size they were supposed to hold. Even tyed with the jaws chipped until sending them back to the company & the hooks still held tight, just nothing very small or very large ! Only 2 flying hooks in 20 years doesn't seem like a jaw problem unless they really were defective, which can probably be determined under a microscope or some similar lab test; but they don't advertise tying #32's anymore, just up to #22's on the Medallion jaws & with bifocals the saltwater slot was just out of sight as it should have been a "feel" for the slot for hook placement. Still a better vise than anything else I've ever seen in person :yahoo: