Fly Tying
Arkansas Mike

Regal Disaster

Greg, thanks for the offer, but I'm just going to order an HMH.

I talked to Regal and they said to send it in. Said the repairs

department are the ones that make that decision, and (understandably) they will

only do so when they are holding the vise in their hands examining

it for themselves. It is $40.00 ( if they are not found to be defective )

for them to replace it with a brand new set of jaws and or head, if need be.

I'll probably pay the $40, if it comes to that, just so I have a back-up vise

when my HMH arrives. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Mike

i broke my regal while holding it open to clean between the jaws

i had this vise for a good 20 years or so

they sent me a new head for 20 dollars or something like that

call them they will replace it for the cost of shipping

Well, I sent my Regal by priority to Orange, Mass. with a note with my name, address,

e-mail, phone number. After 2 weeks with no word, I contacted them and

ask if my busted vise had arrived and the lady told me that it had and that

"It is repaired and ready to shipped back to you as soon as we receive payment."

The reconditioning fee is $40. Although I now have

a nice new HMH (with an "unconditional" lifetime warranty), which I

absolutely love, I want my Regal back as well to use as a second vise, so

I'm sending them the $40. Not happy with the situation, but what are you

gonna' do?

Mike

careful, you could put an eye out with that thing!!

I think my HMH came with a picture of "correct" hook placement. BUT it also came with instructions about adjusting the jaws to correct tension... to hold the hook just tight enough but not too tight.

Thanks I'll have to look for my book. you got one with yours, so there has to be one in my box. Now where did I put the box?

Well, I sent my Regal by priority to Orange, Mass. with a note with my name, address,

"It is repaired and ready to shipped back to you as soon as we receive payment."

gonna' do?

Mike

now THATS poor customer service....

Although I now have a nice new HMH (with an "unconditional" lifetime warranty), which I absolutely love,

Well, Mike, at least you gotten yourself a good vise now! :D

Ray

P.S.

Figured that will set somebody off!!

Well, Mike, at least you gotten yourself a good vise now! :D

Ray

P.S.

Figured that will set somebody off!!

Love the HMH. As far as the Regal, I enjoyed using it for several years without a problem. I really

liked it. I know a lot of you guys have used one for years and years without a problem. Just kind of thought

Regal might could have fixed it under warranty. I'm cheap that way. Still,

that's just my 2 cents, and I guess I was the moron who inserted the hook wrong. So was determined. :rolleyes:

Mike

Sorry to hear about your vice, Mike. Alot of manufacturers don't want to back up what they sell and don't put the quality in it either. Jeez, they make it sound like you were trying to tie an anchor or something!!!! Read all the posts and everyone has an opinion. I don't mean that in a bad way; I've used brands of tools that others said weren't worth the money and have been real happy with them, and I've also bought things because of the name brand and have been very dissappointed. I've been using a Griffin rotary for about 18 months and have been very happy with it. But, that's me. The reason I bought it was that it had a lifetime guarantee, but the place where I bought it also let me try it out in the store. I liked that; I asked a bunch of questions, the guy sits down and starts tying and demonstrating; all I had to do was ask and the next thing you know we had a crowd!!! Plus, he got a few people interested in what we were doing. Would love to hear how your new vice works out. I'm always in the market to buy good stuff!!!

Marjie

Got my 20 year old vise jaws back in the form of brand new traditional jaws for the $40 shipping & replacement surcharge in almost 3 weeks; since Regal is only open Mon-Thurs & the vise jaw inspectors don't work on Wednesdays. Also swapped out the brand new Revolution standard jaws for the Big Game jaws for just a few dollars more. Thinking the Big Game jaws should have been swapped out for the Medallion traditional jaws now that There's been some time to see how well they work on the big & smaller hooks. Considering the retail price of the new jaws just by themselves, really great customer service & warranty considerations for customer use of their product ! :yahoo:

Just a heads up for Regal users. Right now I can install a Mustad 79580 size 10 hook in my Regal (just as Regal says I should) and using 8/0 uni pull the hook until it slides in the jaws. Is it possible that all these hooks that are "installed wrong" according to Regal, also be slipping? To everyone who says not to install the hook close too the edge of the jaws, how do you put a size 20 or smaller in the jaws without being close to the edge? Regal claims to have a lifetime warranty. If the jaws are not covered under warranty what is? Maybe it is the felt on the base? Sure $40.00 is not bad for a new set of jaws, but they should cover them for free. IMO to many people chip the jaws for it to be just user error, Regal has a problem with their product and are not standing behind it. The shop that I bought my Regal from stopped selling them because they had to many problems with chipped jaws.

Has anyone had the chipping problem with the stainless jaws? Maybe this could be the cure?

Good luck, Tony

Just a heads up for Regal users. Right now I can install a Mustad 79580 size 10 hook in my Regal (just as Regal says I should) and using 8/0 uni pull the hook until it slides in the jaws. Is it possible that all these hooks that are "installed wrong" according to Regal, also be slipping? To everyone who says not to install the hook close too the edge of the jaws, how do you put a size 20 or smaller in the jaws without being close to the edge? Regal claims to have a lifetime warranty. If the jaws are not covered under warranty what is? Maybe it is the felt on the base? Sure $40.00 is not bad for a new set of jaws, but they should cover them for free. IMO to many people chip the jaws for it to be just user error, Regal has a problem with their product and are not standing behind it. The shop that I bought my Regal from stopped selling them because they had to many problems with chipped jaws.

Has anyone had the chipping problem with the stainless jaws? Maybe this could be the cure?

Good luck, Tony

The original jaws were replaced for $0.00 some 20 years ago as they were determined by Regal engineers to be defective. Only hooks I put too close to the edge was a #32 Mustad & a #1/0 bendback too close to the offset in the hook groove, but the new Big Game jaws have a slope on the top coming to a more defined point at the tip & 3 hook grooves. The stainless steel midge jaws were an option for the Medallion, but very expensive...... probably more than I originally paid for the whole vise 20 years ago, so can't tell about how they function; but how many #24's & smaller would I be tying was the decision not to upgrade to stainless as the original jaws were rated for #6/0 to #32 sized hooks. #10 4X streamer hooks hold well in the Big Game with plenty of jaws on both sides of the hook bend giving ample tying space. Have to find some time for the saltwater flies test tying & get used to the rotary features; but haven't quite deciphered the "pull the hook until it slides in the jaws with 8/0 uni " ?

gonna' do?

Mike

I tied an crap load of flies on my first set of jaws 10 to 15000. (yes thousand) and they just started to slip a bit. I contacted HMH 3 days later I had a new set. My cam lever started to wear. I contacted HMH 3 days later I had a new lever. My friction set screw wore out I contacted HMH and guess what it took 4 days. Not only is HMH the best Vise for the money they have as good as service if not better than any other vise made. HMH has a youtube video up on hook placement.

Matt, I've only had my HMH for a few days, but you

don't have to sell me on them. I love it. My Spartan

was also missing half the manual out of the box, so

I e-mailed HMH and they got back to me in a matter

of hours, apologizing and telling me a complete one

was in the mail. Good to know these jaws will last

thru 15000 flies! On average, how many flies

do you tie in a day? Jeez!

Mike