Fly Tying
kyflytyer

Strange Tying Materials

A tampon. Ditched the girl, kept the fly, hooked but did not land a salmon with it. I call the fly Salmpon Fly.

Ray,

I believe we may have done bussiness with the same processing house. Kind of expensive, (cost me over 250 Kilpocknies) but hard to find a place that can do a good job on Yak hair these days. I have since switched to tying

with the underarm hair from the male Mountain Gorilla. Hard to find a source, but if your VERY fast, you can grab some on the run. :huh:

I have since switched to tying with the underarm hair from the male Mountain Gorilla. Hard to find a source, but if your VERY fast, you can grab some on the run. :huh:

:rolleyes:

Bruce's belly button dubbin!! :ban:

OK this is not true and is a bit creepy! sorry for the bad joke!

Come now, its only creepy of you harvest it yourself... if he sends it to you in a ziploc, then it's perfectly acceptable. :bugeyes: :headbang:

Bruce's belly button dubbin!! :ban:

OK this is not true and is a bit creepy! sorry for the bad joke!

Come now, its only creepy of you harvest it yourself... if he sends it to you in a ziploc, then it's perfectly acceptable. :bugeyes: :headbang:

I don't know about that...still creepy or something... :sick:

silk tiger lilly flower pedals, makes great body wrapping for panfish flies, cockateal feathers from our family bird, shhhhhh don't tell the wife, fish scales makes great wing buds best come off of big blue gills or crappies, fake eyelashes, great for tails

Twenty-five pounds of Tibetan yak hair trimmed from a herd of yaks by herdsmen and carried 300 miles to a yak hair sorting/cleaning/tying house by a Tibetan monk, on orders of a higher order monk, where the hair it tied in 3 or 4 ounce bundles. Then, it was shipped to South Africa and then on to Waco, Texas where I live.

Ray

now that is a hell of a story to go with the yak hair :yahoo:

I've used latex condoms to tie a number of different larva and grub flies... and no, I didn't tie the flies for bone fish

The picture is of a large grub fly I use for smallmouth

post-18024-1255445330_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you'll call it a material but the wax I use is from the hardware stores, plumbing dept. It's the toilet bowl wax seal. I pack it into an old deodorant tube and also melt some into an old hook box that I keep handy for touch dubbing

cheers Chuckandducker

Down through the years I have used, and still do, such things as shed Siberian Husky hair (makes a great gray nymph body), green nape feathers from a double yellow head amazon parrot (great softhackle hackle), and neck feathers from Jacobin pigeons (a Fancy Pigeon breed--they make excellent leech hackle),and last, but not least, hair from a large Norwegian rat that took up residence in my garage some years ago. Great muskrat substitute for Adams dries. Made a nice looking pelt! Have a piece of Bengal Tiger pelt from the '50's, but have never used it. It is kept with my now illegal furs and feathers that were once legal and readily available.